+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bone fishing info needed

Blog Entries

Default Bone fishing info needed

trying to plan a vac. for next yr.
    Like to combine a family vacation with some bonefishing. Any ideas on where to go or who to contact? I know there are remote destiantions just for bonz, but keep in mind ,that wont work with 2 teenage girls in tow.......
    I'd like to find a spot where they can do their thing ,while mom and I try our luck on the fish with some sort of reasonable sucess........Any ideas?

BELIZE!!!

Just got back from Ambergris Caye in Belize (for my honeymoon!) and the bone fishing was FANTASTIC. Not the biggest fish, but a 2-lb fish on a 7-wt took me into the back 5 times and almost 15 minutes to get him to the boat. Year-round permit, tarpon, and bones.

Email me off-board for more info!

FWIW, round-trip flights for two were $650 TOTAL and our accommodations were excellent @ ~$130 US/night. Super snorkeling, fantastic food, and very pleasant people. May thru November is their "low season," meaning things are cheaper and fewer tourists. And generally cheaper for a good guide.

In about 3 hours I caught 6 bones, two ladyfish, and very nearly hooked a blacktip shark on one of those ladyfish. All in all, the perfect place.

Marty
    MFTG

Smernsky,

With all the craziness in the world, and considering that this is a family vacation, where you'll be traveling with young girls, I'm inclined to suggest staying in the States and going to the Florida Keys.

Spend the money and do it right...stay at a large resort like the Cheeca Lodge, where your girls will enjoy the beach, pools, food (this place has one of the best salad bars I've ever seen...lots of fresh, nutritious foods, but they also serve hamburgers, etc.), service, shopping, spa service, everything, since it sounds like they don't want to fish.

You might enjoy these amenities too, when you're not on the water.

Hire a guide and have them meet you at the Cheeca's docks. You're right across the street from Sandy Moret at Florida Keys Outfitters, although Sandy is moving his establishment across the street and down, just a bit. But you can hire a good guide here.

There are bonefish and tarpon and permit, and lots of other big, strong fish that will burn backing off your reel. And you don't have to leave "civilization" and take your family to some strange, third-world country to enjoy fishing for these species.

Take a 9-weight rod.

You'll have a great time.

Good Luck!

Fred

[This message has been edited by Fred Sanford (edited 14 October 2005).]

Smersky,
    The world is dangerous so you should stay home and not go anywhere. Mexico would be a fun time if you are crazy. I went to Cozumel and had some suprising fun with the local bones. Bones, Permit and a few 'cuda made it a blast. At the time my wife was off enjoying the city and not worrying about anything.

------------------
    <*(((((><
    Jim in CO

Hey Smernsky,

What about the Bahamas?...Andros is great, but I used to live on Exuma and had great bonefishing there.

There are plenty of guide services on the island, but I could also tell you of some places you could access on your own (as long as the main harbour area is still open to fishing).

I know the a website of a great place for accomodations:
    [url=http://www.bahamahouseboats.com:dad37]www.bahamahouseboats.com[/url:dad37]

I know the people who own this company (they also have cottages for rent). The teenage girls would have beaches to lounge on, and the children of a few of the "boaters" to hang out with, but there are not a lot of clubs or "tourist boys" hanging around (it's more of an "older person's" island).

There are plenty of other accomodations available. The bonefishing is really quite good (especially for schooling bones) but you'll need a guide to track the big boys. It may not get the attention of other destinations, but it's worth a look.

Hope this helps.

My family and I took our first trip to the Bahamas in March of this year - stayed at Pelican Bay Resort on Grand Bahama and really had a good time. Neither my wife nor two teenage kids fly fish, unfortunately, but between the open market near the hotel, the nearby beach, reef tours and parasailing found plenty to do while I fished. Nice accomodations, and Greg Vincent, the guy who runs the flyfishing operation at the resort, went out of his way to check on us every day to make sure that things were going smoothly. Even though weather conditions weren't optimal and I was a relative newcomer to saltwater, I caught a number of really nice bonefish. There are a lot of great places in the Bahamas from what I've heard, although some of them cater more strictly to the fly fisher - this place had plenty for all of us. Hope you have a great time, wherever you decide to go.

Dennis

Stay in the USA because the "world is a crazy place"?????? Life is inherently dangerous. I'll be fishin 3 times in Mexico, 1 in Coasta Rico, and 1 more time at a destination yet to be detremined. Ya can't or at least I can't live my life cowered in fear. God bless--reuel

------------------
    "Fish where they is, not where they ain't."

+ Reply to Thread