+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3-legged Weenie

Talking 3-legged Weenie

Ok, I had to get in on the fun with the Koosh balls. I found one that was pink with orange tips. I put on dubbing then tied on top to keep from rolling. Dubbed all they way up and ribbed the hook with all 3 legs. Cut off the ends behind the eye and colored in the eyes.
    Will have to see if they catch fish!

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up I like it!

Aileen,

I think your fly maximizes the best qualities of the Koosh Ball material. You have lots of loose spikes for action and flexibility as well as the hook shank covered for a life-like feel. It works in my book! 8T

GREAT, looking Weenie! Interesting tie and like 8T mentioned......... you have all the basics covered, as well.
    Might have to give this pattern a go and even try it with one, two and three colors combined!?!
    Thanks for the pic!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Will it sink on its own or will it need some metal underwraps to help get it down (assuming you wanted the legs to move as they drop vs. fishing it as a dry).

Nice looking critter. Thanks for sharing it.

The ones I tie sink slowly on their own. The first batch, I put a few wraps of lead wire on the hook and they sank like a stone. After that, I started tying them without the extra weight and the fish seem to be more interested in them on the slow sink.

If there is a lot of current, the weight may help get them down but I mainly fish these for bass and bluegill in ponds or in some of the slower warm water streams where the extra weight it unnecessary.

Hope this helps.
    Jeff

I really liked the idea, it look good for carp..... and well trout and bluegills

I tied one in blue today (since that's the only wiggly material I have handy right now). I used a size 12 nymph hook (2x heavy, 1x long).

No need to dub the hook first. I tied in the the wiggly bits near the hook's one by one nice and snug (which made the "eye" bulge out on each of them) then advanced the thread to somewhere over the point/barb.

As I wrapped each wiggly big towards the bend of the hook, I stretched it a bit tighter. That gave me the tapered body without spending time dubbing the shape underneath to start with.

A few wraps over the point/barb to lock each one in, then I'd wrap the next one. After all three were tied down over the point/barb, I wrapped the thread quickly back up to the hook's eye. The ribbing on the way back doesn't really show since the wrapping of the three wiggly bits makes fairly prominent bumps already.

I haven't fished it yet (just tied it a few minutes ago). And of course, while I was taking pics of other stuff I just tied, I completely forgot this one...
    Last edited by Thwack; 06-08-2009 at 06:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread