+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Bags

Default Plastic Bags

L.A. Banning Plastic Grocery Bags; LOS ANGLES (AFP) - The city of Los Angeles announced it will ban all plastic bags from retail stores as of July 1, 2010, following similar anti-pollution regulations already enforced in San Francisco.
    The second-largest US city behind New York, Los Angeles, with its four million population, will ban plastic bagging in all supermarkets, grocery and retail stores, the Los Angeles City Council said in its new regulation.
    After July 1, 2010, all store customers must provide their own bags or purchase bags made of paper or other biogradable material from the store for 25 cents (0.25 dollar), it added.
    The goal is to rid the city of some 2.3 billion non-biodegradable plastic bags that are distributed each year and end up polluting waste dumps for a long time.
    San Francisco, 600 kilometers (373 miles) north of here, also in California, in 2007 became the first US city to ban plastic bags from its stores.
    Both city regulations are intended to pressure state lawmakers who are considering a bill to eliminate plastic bags across the state by 2012.
    Several countries around the world have already adopted laws banning plastic bags, which often end up killing animals that swallow or get caught up in them. End Quote.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Do you remember the days when plastic bags were promoted as a way to save the trees?

Keith

Blog Entries

Smile

I agree with all but the 25 cent charge for a bag. That is a pure rip off to the customer.

When I was Young We used to take a cardboard box to the store to pack home groceries in. Paper bags would get wet in the rain then desintigrate spilling the contents. My Mom even melted parrafin and made waxed cardboard boxes that were strong as all get out.

More and more stores in BC are carrying paper bags as an option.

I have at least 10 of those bags they sell for a buck or so but never remember to bring them with me so I wind up buying another one.

When you are out fishing they are good to keep your fish cool in till you get them home. You soak the cloth bag in water which cools by evaporation keeping fish cool. Make sure you get un-dyed bags or they can run and taint the fish. I found that out the hard way.

A good joke to try on the Kid at the check out is when you buy a 4 litre jug of milk. ( a gallon of milk in the states ) they always ask if you'd like your milk in a bag. ( a sack in the states )

You adopt an innocent look and say Oh No ! please leave it in the jug, It will leak out of a bag. Works every time .
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 07-24-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Nearly every store in our area is seling sturdy reusable bags for under a dollar each.
    Word is, state law will soon mandate the stores no longer use the plastic ones. I hate 'em anyway, nothin stays in 'em unless ya tie the things shut. The paper ones will still be ok , for awhile, but word is they want them to stop too. The wife and I have purchased several reusable bags each, now, all we gotta do is learn to bring 'em whenever we go to the store, or we'll soon have dozens of 'em. It's a good idea, i think, just takes a little getting used to. We've gotten kinda spoiled, I'd say.....ModocDan

Our local store sells those reuseable bags for a buck each. My wife always remembers to take them along, and I always forget.

On the other hand, they do make great bags for transporting my wading boots !! Haven't forgotten to take one along for that purpose when I go fishing since I first got the idea several months ago.
    The fish are always right.

How often do you guys wash your reusable cloth bags?

Regards,
    Keith

Today I saw in the paper we are all getting closer to a 20 cent surcharge / plastic bag .....I see folks going through check out lines with shopping carts full of bags...a lot of product... there's no way we could bring in enough of those cloth bags to cover the amount purchased....What's a body to do

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by kjgallaher View Post
    How often do you guys wash your reusable cloth bags?

Regards,
    Keith
    Keith,
    I would be happy to wash my cloth bags, if i would remember to USE them!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Today I saw in the paper we are all getting closer to a 20 cent surcharge / plastic bag .....I see folks going through check out lines with shopping carts full of bags...a lot of product... there's no way we could bring in enough of those cloth bags to cover the amount purchased....What's a body to do
    If you shop at Sam's Club warehouses, there are no bags of ANY sort to put your purchases in. BUT, there are lots of cardboard boxes free for the taking, or you could bring your own boxes that may fit better in your vehicle. Those who do mega-shopping often will have a vehicle large enough to accommodate several boxes. You couls also take along a cooler to keep cold/frozen items from the heat this time of year. Just a thought....

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Now, some stores in our area are selling special reusable bags (for a little higher price) which are insulated to keep cold things cold, and hot things hot. They are much like the other reusable bags, only quite shiny and nice on the inside....... ......ModocDan

+ Reply to Thread