+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A rookie question

Default A rookie question

Hey everyone. New to the site and to fly fishing. Several years ago my parent bought me a martin fly fishing package that came with line and backing and yada yada, the whole 9 yards. Well I never actually fished with it, just cast it a lot in the back yard. I have this week off and I'm motivated to take it out and fish with it for the first time ever. However, before I do, I feel like the line needs to be cleaned. I read somewhere that just soap and warm water will do the trick? What methods do you guys use to clean your line? Thanks for helping the new guy.

Terry cloth like a wash cloth soaked in hot water (soap if ya like), Run it through a couple of times rinsing between passes. Let it dry then dress it....I have used SA line dressing lately....makes it slickern hot snot on a glass door knob.

davealt;
    Welcome aboard!! You don't tell us where you're from? Could be one of us close enough to give you some help!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Yep! Welcome to the BEST place. Please DO let us know where you're from. As Jack said, it could lead to 1st hand local help.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm from the Western Kentucky area.

I use the Accardo Silicone Super Coat Fly Line Dressing (conditioner). Other dressings will probably work just as good but this is what I use.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Dave,
    There are fly fishers in western Kentucky, and I am one. I'm in Draffenville, near Benton, not far from Kentucky Lake. Send an email to the addy in my profile. Would be more than happy to impart what little I know.

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Try the Cumberland below Wolf Creek Dam.

I used to fish there a lot when I lived in Tennessee. One thing to remember if you go....

BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a big river and can be dangerous if they start the generators.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

....several years ago and you haven't fished it yet...? Thank God there's still time....run boy, run, don't look back!!!
    When you catch that first fish, it's too late. The monster will have you; you'll start talking in a different language, you'll have the craving for structured waters, you'll start to like insects and aquatic creatures......

I beg you, don't do that first presentation on water, save yourself, try bowling!!!!

.....or, you can just join the condemned here and have fun, it's up to you...

kphume, I was supposed to go yesterday to the dam as a matter of fact. Instead, I played in a church softball tourny. My uncle, who has fly-fished his whole life went on and caught what he claimed to be the biggest trout of his life. Guess I missed out!

Bluegill Budd, thanks for the heads up. I'm actually probably going to go for some bluegills this week in Somerset KY on Lake Cumberland.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

+ Reply to Thread