+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharkskin

Quote Originally Posted by Flyrodde View Post
    If it gives me the extra distance and stealth it's worth it. Isn't that why you buy the line? To fish it? From what I understand, this line is made to be fished hard and it will shed the gunk because of its texture. I wouldn't buy a piece of gear that needed to babied, I think that is what SA had in mind while creating this line. Anyway, moss and yucky stuff, nothing a cloth can't take care of after fishing.

Babying the line was not what I was referring to, in fact the complete opposite. And as far as distance and stealth? if I can get 60' easy with a good Rio line that has a smooth finish in that it won't collect moss like a furled leader or a knotted leader, well that is the stealth to me I guess.
    I clean all my lines after use, so that isn't a problem either. But during is another story.
    As far as SHEDDING the GUNK....does it?

I am not putting down the line at all. I guess when I feel I need to cast 100', then I will have no problem purchasing some, but for now...I am good

And I am one of those PEOPLE, that don't have a problem buying $600.+ rods, so the price of a AWESOME line wouldn't be a problem either.
    I am just waiting the usual YEAR to get a full both side report.
    Last edited by Fly Goddess; 07-08-2008 at 07:46 PM.

I took the time to cast the new Shark Skin, in 5-6-7 weights.
    Using the same rod, I then cast the Airflo "Ridgeline" in the same weights.
    "Shark Skin"=$100.00 ea.=$300.00
    "Ridgeline"=$60.0 ea.=$180.00
    With the $120.00 I saved, I can either buy 2, more, Ridgelines or gas for the rig so I can go fishing with the lines I bought.
    Other than dragging an alley cat through my guides, casting the Shark Skins, I personally didn't see enough differences in the two lines to justify the additional cost.

The great way that the Ridgelines "throw debris" off when casting them, their suppleness and floatability make them a great line for my type of fishing and hard use.
    I have to fish a lot of pretty dirty water, before my cleaning rags even begin to show any residue after days of fishing with the Airflos. I'm sure, this is also true of the Shark Skin lines, but to me, "how often I have to clean a line", isn't a big $40.00 difference factor I'm really concerned with!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    As far as SHEDDING the GUNK....does it?
    That is what the reports say so far, I have no first hand experience with it in muck. As soon as I try it out in some, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyrodde View Post
    That is what the reports say so far, I have no first hand experience with it in muck. As soon as I try it out in some, I'll let you know.

Thanks, I will be looking for your review.
    I doubt I will venture there cause I totally agree with flybinder (Love that RIDGELINE) but anything is possible and I am always open to something new.

I haven't tried one of these lines yet because of the price. Right now my limit on lines is around the 45.00 max range. Being a bamboo rod nut, right now Cortland 444 peach, 444 Sylk and 333ht lines plus a few of the comparable Scientific anglers lines and a few from Orvis. Most of them are dt. When I see lines on sale I will buy them and store them till needed. Now if I could afford 100.00 or more on lines I would definitly try one or a real silk line.
    Joe mentioned that the wf line is 100'. Cortland 444 and later lines are 110', I also feel this is too long but it's a wf line there is no problem if you cut 20 or even 30' off the end of the running line I'd rather cut the line than sacrifice backing capacity. Anyone know how long the DT lines are? I have to ask if your actually using a true la reel or a standard reel with a LA spool as in the Teton Tiogas. There is a huge difference in backing capacities between the 2 types of reels.
    As to the noise I think any line not perfectly smooth will make noise. Cortland years ago have a line that had raised bumps on it's surface to increase distance a precurser to the ridged line idea, braided or furled silk lines are noisey also.
    I agree very few of us fish at distances over or around 60' but the ability to cast that far really helps on those wierd areas where your casting 25' but have 40' of line on the water to get a drag free float or when fishing the surf with a strong head wind.
    Hope this helps.

Tom

Blog Entries

You could always think of it this way. Will you catch eleven times as many fish as you do with the $9 line? If ANY person on this forum can say they would with a straight face...

Did it cast better for me? No, but I was tired, it was raining, and I had an unfamiliar rod (and one I don't particularly like) in hand. Then again, most of time when I fish, I am tired and conditions are less than optimal. And I have never caught a trout in a lawn, anyway.

Did the noise matter? Yes, definitely. I still have my hearing, and that was an annoying sound, one which I see no need to endure while I fish. People who can't hear noises do not automatically, in my opinion, have the right to inflict those noises on others, by the way. Just because you can't hear it doesn't mean the next person can't.

Did the cost matter? Yes, definitely. $100 buys a lot of stuff, including almost one whole tank of gas.

Some thoughts. How many of the people who have and use this line paid $100 for it? This is the same question I ask people about spendy waders and such, and amazingly, many people get them at pro deal prices or their friends who get them at that price passed it on. I pay for my own gear, so I don't buy $600 rods and $100 lines.

Some people are willing to pay a large amount of extra money to get that extra 5% advantage they see such tackle giving them. The potential to cast an extra couple of feet, for instance. Not everyone, including me, feels that way, but you can sure push people's buttons if you state that you are happy and do fine with what they consider inferior equipment. Or that you do not like something they like, even. (This applies to me as well, obviously)

For me, hearing the "you should use the best gear possible" argument is similar to saying that since I drive, I SHOULD be driving a Bentley, since after all, it is a better car than the half ton Chevy pickup I have. It goes faster, rides smoother, and costs several hundred thousand dollars more. But it is a BETTER car, yessirree, so we should all drive one. But if I have to have a pickup, then I SHOULD have that $48,000 one that has the new Onstar, side airbags, fancy this and that, because the perfectly functional truck I now use isn't the newest, shiniest, most tricked out one that exists. I am less of a driver because I have an old, dirty, beat up truck, yep.

Buy the tools you need to do the job, and use those tools. Having a better tool does not automatically make you a better angler. There is a big difference between knowing how to use a tool because you are skilled with it, and having the best tool and thinking that imparts skill.

If SA, or anyone here, still thinks I don't know what I am talking about and should fish with and love this product, I will be happy to field test a line to death, see how long it lasts, see if it changes my catch rates, see if it eats my guides. But I am not paying for that test out of MY pocket. I will stick with the lines I already use.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Did the noise matter? Yes, definitely. I still have my hearing, and that was an annoying sound, one which I see no need to endure while I fish.
    Thank goodness you didn't try fly fishing back when silk lines were the only game in town... the noise they made would have probably made you take up golf or shuffleboard!

Quote Originally Posted by steelieslayer View Post
    Whats the deal with this 100$ line. I use 8.99$ scientific angler WF. Can there be that big of a difference?
    Man I love reading stuff like this. Scientific Anglers makes lines that cost $.8.99 and they make lines that cost $100.

I'm sure there's no difference. Same line different packaging.

It amazes me how many peoples only concern is the price.

You can drive a 10 old pick-up truck with 200,000 miles or a new Ferrari. Same thing, just a motor covered with glass, plastic & steel. Both just take you to work & back.

Scientific Angler's makes lines for many different markets. They know there are anglers who only want the cheapest stuff they can find and make lines for this market. Trust me, they get what they pay for! Then they make lines for anglers who are looking for maximum performance from their lines. The sharkskin line floats very high on the water surface. I find this to be huge advantage, I can pick up a lot of line easily. It mends like nothing I've ever fished, with so little water contact it's easy to manipulate. It loads the rod and casts farther and easier with fewer if not one 1 back cast.

Many of the posts listed here have never cast, fished or even seen this line, yet they insist on commenting. Maybe looking at the price tag isn't the best way to shop.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Man I love reading stuff like this. Scientific Anglers makes lines that cost $.8.99 and they make lines that cost $100.

You can drive a 10 old pick-up truck with 200,000 miles or a new Ferrari. Same thing, just a motor covered with glass, plastic & steel. Both just take you to work & back.

Scientific Angler's makes lines for many different markets. They know there are anglers who only want the cheapest stuff they can find and make lines for this market. Trust me, they get what they pay for! Then they make lines for anglers who are looking for maximum performance from their lines. The sharkskin line floats very high on the water surface. I find this to be huge advantage, I can pick up a lot of line easily. It mends like nothing I've ever fished, with so little water contact it's easy to manipulate. It loads the rod and casts farther and easier with fewer if not one 1 back cast.

Many of the posts listed here have never cast, fished or even seen this line, yet they insist on commenting. Maybe looking at the price tag isn't the best way to shop.
    Ray,
    I always love reading your responses.....Nothing fancy, just "meat & potatoes"...sort of like Joe Friday on "Dragnet" used to say.."Just the facts, ma'am.". You may just have changed some minds about this line.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    Ray,
    I always love reading your responses.....Nothing fancy, just "meat & potatoes"...sort of like Joe Friday on "Dragnet" used to say.."Just the facts, ma'am.". You may just have changed some minds about this line.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post

OK I'll bite on the subject of SA Shark Skin. I picked up a 5wt. about 3 months ago from my local fly shop for ($50) that was used once, what the heck the price was right. Someone had bought from the shop originaly and the guy just couldn't handle the noise. I haven't cleaned or done anything to it since I've had it, it mends great, shoots great and floats great (yes it makes a noise) can't hear anything anyway so my wife says..

I like it, I wish I had one in a 4wt, but I'm not paying a "C" note for it yet.

After I wrote this I did go out and clean the Shark Skin line and there was some stuff that came of the line of course, but the Mog-Mog that came of the line apears to me hasn't affected the performance of the line that I can see, I'm heading out this afternoon to little stream to see if the cleaning did help..
    Last edited by catman; 07-13-2008 at 05:10 PM.
    I was born at night, but not last night.
    Odds are with the prepared...

+ Reply to Thread