+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cure found for VFR?

Default Cure found for VFR?

This just in from Central Iowa, An antidote may have been found for the dreaded VFR. (Viking Fish Repellant)

I just realized, it's been many trips since I've been skunked. Now I may only get small ones, but I get 'em. And that's a big change. So either I'm getting smarter at this fishing stuff or the fish are getting dumber

Same here...although I had one trip this week where I only caught 1 fish!

Where are you fishing, what are you catching, and what are you using?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Hi Dave, I mostly fish the SW corner of Ada Hayden Lake in Ames, it is the easiest water for me to get to during lunch, which is the only time I have to fish. The bad part is the brush at waters edge is getting over 7' tall, the algea starts just 3' off shore and I'm stuck on the bank.

Been fishing Griffiths Gnats, EHC, Gurgle Pops, Muddlers, been on the surface mostly, just can't resist the sound gills make taking stuff off the top. Catching Bluegills, Green Sunfish, and Bass.

Was out Tuesday and noticed alot of small hoppers- 3/16 of in inch long, too small for me to imitate- but it means hopper time is coming!

Swen,
    I'm sorry to inform you ... there is no antidote for VFR. Like I said, I'm sorry, but someone had to tell you. It is conceivable that with the brush getting higher, and the yuck stuff growing thicker, that the fish just plain didn't realize it was you doing the fishing. You simply blended in to the background. It's a terrible thing, that VFR, but once a Viking, always a Viking!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

[sigh] And here I was attributing my success, or lack thereof, to being a newbie flyfisher. Is there no hope? I didn't realize I had inherited THIS.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    NO CURE?, Betty what are you trying to tell me?

<sound of head hitting desk repeatedly>
    no, no no, it can't be.
    <sounds of uncontrolled sobbing>

I don't know about CURE'S...but I think extract of "Blind Squirrel" at least temporarily alleviates the symptoms.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

swap the helmet with horns for a beanie with a propeller on top and increase your catch instantly. if nothing else, everyone else will slowly move away from you and leave that area for you to fish alone.

Quote Originally Posted by swen View Post
    This just in from Central Iowa, An antidote may have been found for the dreaded VFR. (Viking Fish Repellant)

I just realized, it's been many trips since I've been skunked. Now I may only get small ones, but I get 'em. And that's a big change. So either I'm getting smarter at this fishing stuff or the fish are getting dumber
    Swen -

Whether they are smart or dumb, just remember ...
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread