+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home made fly boxes...

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

instead of sheet foam I have used insulation foam for doors, I like the closed cell kind that is flat with glue on one side and domed up on the other (think of a D lying on its back). it raised the flies up and made them easier to get out.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    instead of sheet foam I have used insulation foam for doors, I like the closed cell kind that is flat with glue on one side and domed up on the other (think of a D lying on its back). it raised the flies up and made them easier to get out.

Eric
    Me too

Smile

Walmart sells a pill box for 99 cents. Orvis Cabelas and SA sell the same thing for $9.99--10 compartment

Michaels Craft store sells 10 Compartment plastic boxes for $1.50. funny how much the price goes up with a name brand on it.

I got ahold of a few old plastic micophone boxes..

there are a water tight seal... and is a perfect fit to the pockets on a gortex jacket..

I'll post a few pictures...tomorrow.

I like the plastic check envelopes I think I bought one for a few dollars at office max or something.

The accordian type with like 8-10 slots, held together by an elastic. In each of the slots I put a piece of that craft foam and pin my flies to that. It also lets me take out the foam patches and put new ones in for different occasions.

I use it for my streamers and can pack a lot of flies in that envelope.

You can also use the eye glass cases that snap shut. They have rigid sides and can fit in a shirt pocket. Just glue foam strips in them.

Rick

Thats a good idea! Those eyeglass cases are in many different sizes.

My father fly fished for many years and always used those little round tins chewing tobacco comes in. He never chewed but claimed the smell from the tin got on the flies and helped mask the human scent. Don't know if that was true or not be he sure caught his share of the fish.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post

Eric
    I've used this stuff inside some nice cigar boxes a friend gave me. They make good storage boxes for special flies....e.g. I keep sample flies or flies given to me at expos in them.

+ Reply to Thread