+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader/tippet question

Default Leader/tippet question

Hi all,
    I have what may sound like a real stupid question. Here goes...when using tapered leaders, do you tie the fly directly to the leader or do you add a section of tippet to the end of the leader? I asked a fishing buddy and all I got from her was the old deer-in-the-headlight-look and a statement resembling something like "I've never thought about it that way". I know...the solution is to used furled leaders, but I only have a few (courtesty of a couple of gentlemen from here) whereas I have a box full of tapered leaders. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

being of the old school and assembling my own leaders using tapering formulas, I would suspect that one would tie the fly directly onto the tippet straight from the package. I tell my fishing buddies to purchase spools of different tippet sizes (4-6X) to replace the ends of the packaged leaders as they shorten.

I am a new fly fisher and knots are not my forte but I always add a couple feet of tippet to the end of my leader because as you change flies you are not cutting your tapered leader. Just my 0.02 cents.
    Remember we all live down stream

Quote Originally Posted by scubatim View Post
    I am a new fly fisher and knots are not my forte but I always add a couple feet of tippet to the end of my leader because as you change flies you are not cutting your tapered leader. Just my 0.02 cents.
    That's my take on it, too. Knots????? Blood knots are easy...keep trying. It's nail and albright knots that give me fits
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Default Start with leader

The first 18 to 24 inches of a tapered leader straight out of the pack is the tippet for that leader, and the section that is "X" rated. So tie directly to that. When you use up the first 18 to 20 inches, then add 24 inches of tippet. By the way, you can go up or down 1 to 2 X ratings with your added tippet. A double (triple for fluoro) surgeon's knot is the easiest knot for line-to-line, but a blood knot is a beautiful thing.

AuSab - Trust me, we have all asked that question. I've learned this about FFing, the more questions you ask, the less expensive the sport. If I had known 4 years ago what I know now, I would have saved 100's of dollars.

Depends on fishing conditions and the original length of tapered leader. If I start with a 7 1/2' leader and the water is muddy or very stained I might just fish it this way to begin with and then as I change flies, I might have to add some tippet as the leader length gets shorter. On the other hand if I start with a 7 1/2' leader and the water is clear or the fish are spooky, I will add enough tippet to make the leader anywhere from 9' to 14' depending on conditions. If I really need a 14' leader I prefer to start with 9' leaders. And one more recent twist. I started with a 7 1/2' 3X, but was breaking off when the fish would get into thick cover. I cut it down to about 5' and the leader must have been over 20 pound break strength, so that I could horse them out of cover.

To add tippet to a tappered leader, I use a simple double surgeon's knot found here: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begi...rgeonsknot.php

Have fun and good fishing.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by raw69 View Post
    If I had known 4 years ago what I know now, I would have saved 100's of dollars.
    Nah you wouldn't. You'd just have a few more rods.....

Ausable,

Raw gave you some good answers. All I would add is to maybe in future instead of buying 9' 6X leaders for example, buy some 7 1/2' 4X then add maybe 2-3ft of 5X w/a triple surg. knot and try that set-up. By sometimes replacing the 5x when it's used, a leader should last you a full season.

Also perhaps alter the 5X length if you need to go down to 6X tippet. You'll see what works or you.

Jeremy.....using furled leaders now. That Hise guy converted me!

ausable ny .............
    What I normally do now is purchase 9 or 9 and one half foot fluorocarbon leaders in a size stronger than the tippet I want to fish. (I choose fluorocarbon over mono because it is not a dated item and does not deteriorate like mono leaders do from UV exposure etc.)
    Thus if I want a 10 pound leader for Bonefish, I will purchase a 9 or 9 and one half foot 15 pound fluorocarbon leader and then add 24 inches of 10 pound fluorocarbon tippet via a triple surgeons knot. This leader will usually last me the whole season. When my tippet gets short because of changing flies I just add another 24 inches and it is like a new leader. All you have to watch out for is abrasion on the main body of the leader.
    Hope this helps,
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

I use the leader for a while until I used up a foot or two, then tie tippet to it. Otherwise you'd have a 10-12 foot leader if you tied tippet to a 9ft leader.....that makes it kinda hard to land fish.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 07-10-2008 at 12:59 AM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I have gotten lazy and the most of the time I use a straight leader.
    Usually 6 to 7 feet long and all the same diameter.
    It has worked for me.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread