+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for a fishing trip into Western Canada or Alaska

Default Looking for a fishing trip into Western Canada or Alaska

I am looking for a fishing trip into the western great white north or Alaska, Does anyone know of one that would have great fishing plus things for non fishing spouses to do. My father in law is set on a trip costing over $20,000 and my mother in law asked me to find something cheaper.

I was thinking probably salmon or something, but I am not picky just need to find someplace comfortable with Fish. Lodge or something.
    Last edited by NderdaFilm; 07-07-2008 at 02:37 AM.

According to my wife, Things for spouses can include reading book by fire, not having to cook. Listening to great fishing stories............ Ok, I made the last one up.

Wow, for $20,000 I would take a year off and live in alaska for the season. I hope this is an A-1 5 star thing he found.

I have watched this video a lot when I wasn't able to get out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nrA3QAVo0I
    Give them a call.
    Heres the site: http://www.elkvalleyflyfishing.com/

Things for the spouses to do, like what? Most/All top dollar Alaska lodges are remote with little else going on but fishing. Some are luxurious but there is nothing to do outside of the lodge. As for cost, they run the whole range.

I know a lot of places, so let me know if I can help. Oh, and it will likely need to be next summer because this summer is obviously booked already.

You guessed it, somebody got hooked on the idea of a five star lodge and trip!!!!

I think he better save more for his retirement.
    Last edited by NderdaFilm; 07-08-2008 at 02:14 AM.

Hey if you want to spend that much, you could have about 6 months here in NZ.
    As for Canada have a look at the fishing report from the Frazier valley
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=22292
    This is the water that Roderick Haig Brown fished and lived beside. I would recomend his book as well, it is fantastic.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Film:

If the spouses are involved, you would probably be better off thinking about a trip to the Kenai Peninsula. You can catch huge fish in that river, walk up the Russian, travel down to Seward and Homer or let the others do it while you fish, have dinner with family at night, work in saltwater fishing, and still save money.

If you need some degree of comfort and luxury for the others, you might want to consider something like A Wild:

http://www.alaskawildland.com/about.html

I do not know who their guides are at the moment, but I know several of their former guides and they are good. I have been to functions at the lodge on the Kenai, and the owners are held in good esteem by those I have met.

There is a ton of guides on the Kenai Peninsula, and they have their own association.

http://www.krpga.org/

The later into the year it gets, the bigger the fish get and the better the fishing. Depending on water levels, the silvers get good around mid August, less water means it may be later. If you wait until after Labor Day, you will have a lot of options, book rental cars out of Anchorage cheaper, and generally save money all around. June is the driest month, but it's not that bad through mid September. At altitude, they will usually see the first snow dusting in early September.

I would not hesitate to go in September, the rainbows and dollies are feeding on the eggs and carrion of kings and reds, and just getting filthy fat. You can catch your two silvers a day too, which is pretty short work if you are with someone who knows what they are doing.
    Last edited by Rawthumb; 07-08-2008 at 08:47 PM.

Blog Entries

I lived in this Country. On a clear day Langara is in sight of Alaska.

Fish so plentiful you have to hide in the cabin to tie on the hook.

http://www.langara.com/site/

There are whales, Dolphins, Octopus, Salmon, Salmon and more Salmon. Halibut as big as you are.

Top notch guides and equipment. What more could you ask for.

In the 1960s they paid me to work there at a weather station they even supplied the house to live in. Like a fool I moved away from there in the mid 70s. ( no school for my kids )
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread