+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What fly vise would you recommend of these.

RAMBO,

Wow, tough choice. All great companies and vises, though I have never tied on a Dyna - King. Before I would want to tie on them all, already suggested. I tie on a Griffin because I got a very good deal on it new and I love it. The Renzetti I tied on was great too. I would conceder Dyna - King if I tied commercially it's built like a tank.

Try them all out and let us know what you went with and why.

Respectfully,
    Sean
    Last edited by Lake Erie High Ball; 07-01-2008 at 01:54 AM. Reason: ops
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Default PEAK Too!

Look at the Peak Vise too.

Thumbs up

Last year I got the Griffin Montana Mongoose as a Christmas gift. I really like it a lot. I have never tried the others, but as other replies have said, tying vises are pretty personal. If it fits ... use it. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

If your looking for a rotary vise I have to also recommend the Rensetti. Reasons are many.
    One head for sizes 2/0-28 hooks, lifetime warrenty, made in U.S.A., good instruction set and customer service. If you notice almost all other rotary vices follow or borrow from the Rensetti designs, I've been at this long enough to know that Rensetti was one of the first true rotary designs. My Travler is around 20 yrs old and was my main vice until I got a good deal on the Presentation 3000 model which I got on a close out when they change to the cam head 10 or so years ago. I have yet to even wear out the o-ring on either of these vices. The Travler is in the travel kit. If there is any down side to the Rensetti is that lefties have to buy a left handed designed one and if you tie alot of Parachute flies you can't just pick up any Gallows tool. I damaged my Travler buy jamming it into a too tight travel case permantly fusing the bobbin cradle attachment to the stem. I could order the parts but it is a good excuse for a new vice.

For non rotary tying try the Anvil Apex. One head for 3/0 - 32 hooks, both pedastal and c-clamp, lifetime warrenty, Also made in U.S.A. and 99.00 price. Only the pedastal base is from overseas. Yes I do tie down to 32 midges. An instruction and care sheet would be a good addition to this package.

Tom

I've tied on all three of them, the Cuda is nice but not sure if it is worth the extra dollars, The Mongoose is nice as well but a bit bulky and gets in my way a bit. The traveler is a good choice, sturdy, holds a hook well, and a decent price, however be aware the Traveler is no longer warrantied for life. Most of what I said is opinion, if at all possible sit down somewhere and try each one, it will make the choice easier.

Quote Originally Posted by TomTrout View Post
    If your looking for a rotary vise I have to also recommend the Rensetti. Reasons are many.
    One head for sizes 2/0-28 hooks, lifetime warrenty, made in U.S.A., good instruction set and customer service. If you notice almost all other rotary vices follow or borrow from the Rensetti designs, I've been at this long enough to know that Rensetti was one of the first true rotary designs. My Travler is around 20 yrs old and was my main vice until I got a good deal on the Presentation 3000 model which I got on a close out when they change to the cam head 10 or so years ago. I have yet to even wear out the o-ring on either of these vices. The Travler is in the travel kit. If there is any down side to the Rensetti is that lefties have to buy a left handed designed one and if you tie alot of Parachute flies you can't just pick up any Gallows tool. I damaged my Travler buy jamming it into a too tight travel case permantly fusing the bobbin cradle attachment to the stem. I could order the parts but it is a good excuse for a new vice.

For non rotary tying try the Anvil Apex. One head for 3/0 - 32 hooks, both pedastal and c-clamp, lifetime warrenty, Also made in U.S.A. and 99.00 price. Only the pedastal base is from overseas. Yes I do tie down to 32 midges. An instruction and care sheet would be a good addition to this package.

Tom

I'm with TT!! Only i purchased a travel case from Renzetti for my Traveler, boy is it a good vise (Im a lefty) use it right or left!
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Up until recently I had a DynaKing Barracuda. Very nice vise and built to last many lifetimes. With the midge hook option you can tie a wide range of hook sizes. It is a heavy vise and one that I would not use for travel. Instead I have a DynaKing Voyage II for that. I said up until recently as I traded with Jason72 here on the bb. I have wanted to give the NorVise so he and I chatted a bit and made the trade. I love the NorVise. You might want to take a look at that vise as well.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you buy.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

If price is an issue, then I would argue the order of preference would be Renzetti, Dyna-King, Griffin.

If price is NOT an issue, then the order is Dyna-King, Renzetti, Griffin.

The Barracuda is a much better vise that will handle a large range of hooks (important for bass or salt patterns) and is built to last. The Traveller is a good portable vise but not as solid a tool and with heavy use has a tendency to need spare parts after a few years of service. The Griffin just is not in the same class as either, IMNSHO.

Search for past threads and make up you own mind. As with most things, you'll find opinions vary widely.

Keeping to the post I would go with the Renzetti Travler. I owned one and tied on it at shows and on vacation. The Travler was replaced by a Renzetti presentation 4000. My every day vise that I tye is a Renzetti Master. Before I bought the Master I was looking at all the vises. Dyna King was a very nice vise, but I did not care for it's looks and feel. Some one mentioned a Danvise and I did have a chance to look at one and play with it even though I was not going to buy one. I thought the vise was cheap and also seen the the jaws would not last a long time. Regal is a nice vise and I do love the fact of no adjustments are needed far as going from hook size to hook size. What turned me away from it was two things:
    1) The stupid material holder I feel is in the way of your hands (Minor)
    2) I had to buy different jaws to accomondate the flies I tye. (Major)

I tye wet flies to size 6/0 Salmon flies. This is why Regal did not work for me. Now the Nor vise I just did not like period. Did not feel comfortable with it at all. You really need to go and take a look at the vises you are interested in and try them if this is possible. For me it was. I am lucky enought to have shops to try them out. I really feel if you try the Renzetti you will be hooked.

Almost 6 years ago I got a Dyna-King Baracuda. I've been happy with it since I got it. I tried a Peak Vise and the Renzetti Traveler before I bought my vise. I know both are great vises - but they were to dainty for me. By that I mean my big mitts did not always get along with either of those vises. I bought the Baracuda because it was massive,- built like a tank - built to last many lifetimes - has great hook holding power. So far it has not disappointed me in any way.

+ Reply to Thread