+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Crawdad/Crayfish Swap

I like the pictures of the patterns that were posted, and would certainly be interested in seeing the others.

What is everyone's opinion of hook-up vs hook down for a crayfish pattern?
    The ones with hook down look really nice, and its probably easier to build a nice-looking head on the crayfish without the barb in the way. I've seen a lot of crayfish patterns tied hook-down. Another thought is that in a muck, sand, or smooth/round-rock stream, the hook grabbing at the bottom and then coming free would provide some interested action to the fly.

Crayfish flies are generally intended to be worked on/near the bottom, and most of the places I fish are fairly snaggy (algae, weeds, grass, sticks, sharp-edged rocks)...I was thinking it might help reduce snags if the hook were to ride up?
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Fishindave---heres mine---i had to make another one
    6 or 8 hook---tungsten bead---mono feelers---burned mono eyes---hen claws
    moosemane under to bead and folded back above hook--- palmer brown hackle back--dub hook shank ---fold moosemane out back over eye of hook--superglue tail up
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Dave,

The best way to see all the different patterns is to join the swap, as we do have an opening. Swap sales pitch aside, I've had better luck with crawdads that ride hook point up -- for the very reasons you described, rocky bottoms in particular.

Hope you're able to join the swap,

Michael

Thanks Shorthaul!

Mike, I'm very tempted. Crayfish-imitators certainly challenge my skill level, and often I don't win! I'm still looking for a "favorite" and easy crayfish pattern. My early creations (and even more recent ones), still need...um...a LOT of fine-tuning! ;o)

David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

If it's OK, I'd like to do an experiment. Under the Fly Tying section of the board, Fishin Dave listed an experiment with crawfish that showed bass striking crawfish patterns with NO CLAWS 2-1/2 times more often than normal patterns. I would like to modify my Swiss Straw Crawfish pattern by tying it with no claws, and see how they perform. It will be interesting.

gigmaster

how about doing 1/2 with and 1/2 without and have everyone post the results
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

What would be interesting would be to find a clear stream with a smallmouth bass population and fish the three/four variants of the fly: two claws, left claw only, right claw only, and no claws, and let the fish tell us what their preference is.

Michael

I am printing toe tags, the flies will be in the mail tomorrow.

Smile Posting the flies

Will you please post the flies when the swap is over.

I'll definitely post pictures of the flies when the swap is completed. The flies I've received, to date, look very nice and am sure that our crustacean loving quarry would feel likewise. I'm actually waiting with anticipation each day to get the mail, as there's a chance more flies will be in there, as opposed to the usual fly-fishing magazines and bills.

Michael

+ Reply to Thread