+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are Trout Dumb?

tyeflies

A fly must look alive---

By alive I don't feel he meant that it should look alive in appearance as in looking identical to the insect it was tied to represent. I feel he meant that the fly must have movement of it's own with hackle, hair or something that would give the impression to the trout of moving legs, emerging wings, etc. A hook with a glob of hair and hackle or tied so well that it looked so identical to the real thing may not entice a strike because it just moved with the current and did not show any signs that looked like it was swimming, moving on it's own, fighting the current, etc. It must have movement of it's own which makes it look "alive" and not just a glob moving with the current. That is my opinion of what he meant by look "alive".

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Trout are dumb only in the primary sense of the word. That is, they cannot speak. (To us but they can communicate with eachother) No question about it in my mind! As I have learn't, they can do a lot more than that!

When you get old and your brain flakes away, your cognitive reasoning drops precipitously until it reaches the level of the trout, birds, mamals, etc. At the same time, the ol' brain is making advances in animal thought and if you are an astute observer of nature, you can tune in on the trout's frequency.

At first you can only listen but after a while you'll learn the trout language and you'll be talking out loud to them all the time. But you need not talk out loud... thoughts will be transferred back and fourth too.

Later they'll have picked up the fisher person language...and you'll be able to converse in the trout language. No need for thought transfer any more they will understand everything you say out loud. By this time you should know most of the larger fish by name.

Fishing protocol demands a proper greeting! Tip your hat and say "Good evening, Fish, I'm here again to catch your a**". (No sense in sneaking up on these big guys...they know you're here. They can listen in on your thoughts, remember?)

Here's a typical communication between me and a big brown of a few years ago.This is how I learned that it does little good to sneak up on the big ones.

Me:
    Good evening, Wentworth, how's the old boy?

Wentworth:
    Good, Ol' Bill, Hows the family. Etc Etc. By the way, I scarred the stuffins out of one of your fishing buddies a half hour ago. He acted as though he'd never seen a 24 inch trout before. I just grabbed onto his little gnat pattern and held on, allowing him to reel me straight in then letting go in the deep water in front of him. He He He, The SOB dove in after me! Ho Ha He He He. The waters only 58 degrees. And he's one of those guys that talk about TROUT being dumb!

I told him he was too astute for me so I wouldn't even try for him today and I continued downstream. I lied...I'd be back in about an hour and sneak up to him with a BWO on a 13 ft 7x leader!

As soon as the fly hit the water, he let out with uproarous and hideous laughter...the son of a gun! I walked past his home and heard him say, G' night ol Bill C ya tomorrow?

I grumbled something like "no you won't, (but devious Ol' Bill was already planning that fish's demise). Then Wentworth said, "that won't work either HO Ho He Hah...why don't you pick up some night crawlers or sculpins for us next time...He He He Hah Ho!

G' night Ol' Bill.

G' night Wentworth.

Ol' Bill

Hey Everyone- I think fish are dumb. They dont know food when you put it in front of them! And that's my argument when I dont catch fish.

Ol' Bill,
    I LMAO!!
    I laugh every time I reread the line "The SOB dove in after me!"
    You need to write & publish a series of short stories titled..."Wentworth & Ol' Bill".
    Thanks for a great laugh!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

"Reader's Casts" column, for sure, snipe. write it and submit it...well all read it .

------------------
    Everyone dies. Only the lucky ever truly Live. Take your time.

Chris-Bishop, CA, USA

Mike and Chris,
    Dang! I'd do that but I'm sure I'd draw a blank! Like being back in school...the pressure of having to be at least mediocre would log jam my brain. Found out over the years that if I plan or think about something it never happens. I'm not ready for the big leagues yet...probably never will be. But thats ok...if I can bring a smile to someone's face, I'll have one on mine too.

Thanks for the kind thoughts,

Ol Bill

I will feed my ego, & say we are a bit smarter then them, & they are smart enough to hit my patterns !!!!!!

Trout are like the street wise punk kids in a big city . One sometimes become savy enough to survive and become a big bruiser.

Blog Entries

giving trout way too much credit.

If you hit it right.......

water temp.......water clarity.......well placed cast.......time of day........overcast.....

They will almost hit on a bare hook.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

+ Reply to Thread