+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polarized Magnifying Sunglasses?

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Question Polarized Magnifying Sunglasses?

B^)

So here's the question.
    If we can walk into nearly any drug store and pick up a pair of cheaters with a range of magnification options ( +1.00 to +3.00 ), why is it so hard to find a pair of O.T.C. polarized cheaters?

I'm not talking about a pair of bifocal sunglasses with polarized lenses, but a full lens with a single magnification power.

It seems to me if something like Dr. Dean's go for twenty bucks a pop, then a polarized pair of sunglasses sporting better optical quality magnifying lenses should be able to be found for say, fifty to one hundred forty dollars.

Any suggestions along those lines?
    Are there any out there that answer to this description that I'm simply missing in my search?

Thank you, Dave

I know there are Rx versions available from Smith / Action Optics and others. I already have three pairs of S / A.O.'s and they're great, but for this I don't need a Rx.

Dave,
    I would so worry that by using "cheaters" for an extended period of time, whether magnifier glasses or sunglasses, that harm would/could be done to your eyes.

I'm not an optometrist, or an optician, or an ophthalmologist, but I really feel something as special as sight should be cared for by a professional. They're (your eyes) worth the investment.
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I agree with HRH Betty, on the importance of such things so I bit the bullet on prescription sunglasses,(polarized), for fishing and everyday wear.
    But, to answer your actual question,Dave, my local Walgreen's Drugstore, carries polarized "cheater" sunglasses, for $24.95. From looking at them, briefly, one day I noticed about 5 different style to be had. They come with a carrying case, (a soft one), as well.
    The display touted them for; "increased reading pleasure while in the bright sun", don't know, if they'd improve one's catch rate or not, though!?
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm not sure I can see the value of walking around with full near corrected lenses....polarized or not????????????????????????

Wink

Hi Betty & F.B,

Thank you for your reply and I truly do appreciate your concern, but in this instance it's misplaced.

You assume it's for an extended period of time, it's not and my "ologist" put me up to it. She simply doesn't know of a reasonably priced ( under $140.00 ) O.T.C. purveyor and having something out of the ordinary concocted by our H.P.'s optical lab would be cost prohibitive, that is, if it's even possible within that bureaucracy.

Smith / Action Optics - sponsors of this board and makers of prescription polarized lens, also offer an off the shelf set magnification bifocal or " cheater " if you will. I don't see any disclaimer in their ads about duration of usage.

See: http://www.smithoptics.com/Bifocal-S...tegory_89.html

If they can produce a cheater bifocal incorporated into a un-magnified polarized lens for around $140.00. Then I would think producing a single magnification full lens with " better optical quality magnifying lenses " for around the same price ought to be both possible and practical.

As I stated earlier " I already have three pairs of S / A.O.'s and they're great, but for this I don't need a Rx."

Thanks again, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    I'm not sure I can see the value of walking around with full near corrected lenses....polarized or not????????????????????????

Walking around???????????

Another assumption?????????

Why do you want a polarized lens for a pair of glasses with a focal range from 12-18 inches???

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Walking around???????????

Another assumption?????????
    You're the one asking for help....don't get cute...just trying to understand.

Forgetting the fencing...I've had some specialized "readers" made...maybe I could help

Beacuse for most people the "magnification", which is a plus lens, would make most people's distance vision blurred. Ever try to look thru the bifocal part of a bifocal for distance?
    Only people that are fairly farsighted would be able to see far away with a lens like that.

-Bill, the Optometrist.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ray View Post
    Why do you want a polarized lens for a pair of glasses with a focal range from 12-18 inches???
    Maybe because tying on a #20 dry fly with the glare off the water as a background is a real pain? Just a thought. I'd still think that polarized bifocals would be more practical.

+ Reply to Thread