+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bow River, 10th and 11, runoff!

1. Default Bow River, 10th and 11, runoff!

Runoff runoff runoff, my favourite time of the year for big fish..not the most fun fishing, but the fish do get quite large..

Got my new stick finally,
    #5, 9' Sage Z-Axis, gotta admit that i love it.

some fish through the day

2. Default

And the only one worth mentioning today

hopefully it will get cleaned up soon

Brent -

Those are some real nice fishies, and that stonefly nymph is a great looking bug !! The rod - oh well, somebody has to keep Sage in business.

With fishing like that, why would you want run off to end ??

John
    The fish are always right.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Brent -

Those are some real nice fishies, and that stonefly nymph is a great looking bug !! The rod - oh well, somebody has to keep Sage in business.

With fishing like that, why would you want run off to end ??

John

i'll keep them in business alright lol..

Its fun for the size, but when the entire thing is casting your biggest nymphs 10-20 feet, i can't wait for dry flys again

Brent -

Know what you mean about the nymph vs. dry fly fishing. I've had a good year on the South Fork, but it has been strictly stonefly and golden stone nymphs. No blue wing olives this year, and no caddis fishing yet. Did fish streamers a few times for a change of pace with some good results, but really would like to see a fly floating down the river one of these days.

We'll get some caddis soon, hopefully, and the salmonflies in a couple weeks, and then a variety of summer flies - PMD's, yellow sallies, golden stones, and, of course, terrestrials later in the summer.

What kinds of summer dry flies are you all looking at up there ?? Something similar, I would think ??

John
    The fish are always right.

6. Default

pretty much bang on, we don't get many yellow sallies on the bow, but the other streams get them..

The caddis fishing is what i wait for..usually show up at the river at 9:30 at night, fish till 1 or 2 am dead drifting by very little light, mostly by hearing. Our BWO hatch was pretty slow this winter, and we completely skipped the Mothers Day Caddis up here due to weather, which was usually our normal start of dry flying (but the river went straight to mud instead, so that didn't happen).
    Once july rolls around, you can fish a hopper all summer long, which can be taken as a terrestrial and as a stone..

Our rivers are all screwed up this year, runoff is still right flying, when it normally is slowing down. I fished opening day (june 16) on the small streams last year and it was clear, and it looks like that will just plain not happen this year till the end of june at least. It won't stop raining.

I've been finding my way onto spring creeks, but that is still rare

Blog Entries

Unhappy

Streams in SW AB starting to come down but still high, just got back from Grande Cache and Grande Prairie and the streams are a mixed bag, the Sheep and the Muskeg both high and dirty.

Nice nymph !
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

+ Reply to Thread