+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who made Grandpa's cane rod?

Default Who made Grandpa's cane rod?

Yesterday afternoon, I accidentally stumbled across one of my grandfathers cane rods in a box stashed away in a corner of my parents storage room. The rod is a 9-foot/3 piece, in decent condition, and has a replacement tip that was in the tube with the other pieces. My problem is I have no idea who the manufacturer was or what weight line it takes. There is nothing legible inscribed on the reel seat, but something like "cooks challenger" is written in cursive (in yellow ink) on the butt end of the bamboo itself. If anybody knows anything about this rod or knows a good place to look for information on this rod please respond.

------------------
    Chris
    "Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl." - Ernest Hemingway

[This message has been edited by nubby_g (edited 22 February 2005).]

Only two companies used white ink (turns yellow with age) that i know off, Horrocks-Ibbotson and Edwards. If the wrighting reads toward the grip it is an HI if it reads away from the grip it is an Edwards. Most of the HI rods were cheaper rods and not that good in the longer lengths but most Edwards are fine rods.
    Matt

Thanks Matt,
    The writing is away from the grip, I'm not positive what the first word reads (my wife thinks it reads Cooks) but I am sure the second word reads Challenger.

Can you describe the box and what the reel seat is made of?

Edwards rods were most times marked
    EW Edwards, EW Edwards & sons, Gene Edwards,
    Edwards Quadrate (if 4 sided).
    But They also made a lot of trade rods for other companies like Abbercrombie & Fitch, Abbie & Imbrie, Winchester, and Bristol. Sounds like yours is one of the trade rods. They also were made in basicly 3 diffrent grades, the higher grade rods had machined welt ferrules and the lesser grade rods had one of several diffrent type rolled welt ferrules. Earlier EW Edwards rods often had reverse english twist snake guides too.
    Matt

Can you post a picture? Always great to look at old fly fishing stuff. Would help a lot to identfy.

Forgot to mention, Cooks, Sporting Goods, in Colorado sold a bunch of fly rods with their name on them, makers?? Could be different ones? I have a catalog from them somewhere.

It looks like the reel seat is made of nickel, but I'm not really sure. The box I found it in was a long wooden lockbox that had four or five other fishing rods in it. This particular rod was wrapped in a tan cloth/sleeve. I will post a picture as soon as I get home.

------------------
    Chris

Little Juniata33,
    If you find that Dave Cooks catalog and see a bamboo rod with the title "challenger" please let me know. I am trying to find some info on Dave Cooks Sporting Goods right now. Thanks.

------------------
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread