+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobie Mirage or Nucanoe?

Also bear in mind that you can still use a paddle with the Hobie Outback, either for fun or if you find yourself in extreme shallows/rocks.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

First, thanks for all the input. I will be hauling whatever I buy in my Tundra pickup. I guess it was foolish to posy such an open ended question, but I am seeking to gather all the information I can before driving to Portland (100 plus miles) to make a purchase. I still would like a bit of information on the stability of both vessels. I am 67, almost 68, and not as steady as I used to be. I want something that I will not worry about tipping over on me. I sure as heck do not plan to stand in it but will lean over when releasing a fish. Jim Harper

Jim,

I use my Hobie Outback about twice a week during the fishing season which down here in Georgia goes from February until Late November. I'm 58 and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm about 40+ lbs overweight and not nearly as nimble as I used to be. I've caught and released many hundreds of fish from my kayak and I fly fish 90% of the time. I've never had the line tangle in the pedals, but I have accidently hooked the rope that attaches the front handle and I just have to break off the fly and retrieve it when I get to shore.

I must admit that I have dumped my kayak twice. Both times when I was trying to get my fat butt into it from the shore and I had one foot in the boat and one one the bank and... I guess you get the picture. I'm not even sure if that counts as dumping the kayak since it would have happened in any boat if your not quick enough. Anyway, other than those two times, I've never even come close to tipping and I've leaned out to retreive flies and reached up to push off from branches when I drift too close to trees.

I don't think that Warren's concern about the pedals and leg position will be a problem either. The pedals are adjustable (takes about 10 seconds) to accomodate people of all heights. You can shorten the stroke if that is more comfortable for you. I find when I'm drifting along, I often just hang my legs off each side. My feet are not in the water but it's sort of like being on a beach chair. I find the seat very comfortable and have never experienced back aches or pain even after 4 straight hours of fishing from the kayak.

I only have three issues with the Hobie Outback.

1. You can't back it up with the pedals. But you have the kayak paddle right there so that's really not an issue.

2. There are a couple of tie downs inside the kayak that I had to remove because my fly line would tangle in it during the retrieve.

3. If you've got to go. there's no way to relieve yourself gracefully, but that's true in any kayak and most canoes as well.

As you can tell, I'm really sold on my Hobie outback and I'm with Bill on this one, I think if you try them all out, you'll end up with the Hobie. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith
    Last edited by James Smith; 05-31-2008 at 12:32 AM.

Warren - I've fly fished and spin fished out of my Outbacks for several years now. Casting sideways works well enough. Just tonight, I was drifting parallel to shore casting towards the low branches and weeds along the edge.

I just switched to a longer rod and really like it (10 ft instead of the usual 9). I haven't had any problems landing fish with the longer rod (some buddies predicted it would be really hard to land the fish with a longer rod).

I use a longer handled net than those typical trout nets. Sitting up above the water in the Outback meant I had to really lean towards the fish to net it until it dawned on me to go looking for one with a longer handle...problem solved.

I have had my line get caught in the pedals. Happened a few weeks ago for the first time. It was windy and I had some line on the water that I'd stripped in but not yet cast back out. If I strip into my lap, there are more things for it to catch on.

The wind pushed the line under the kayak since I had an anchor attached near the back. I quickly figured out that just pushing the other pedal forward prevented the problem. I had the fins folded up against the hull and the wind pushed the line under the nose of the kayak. If I would have left the fins upright instead of folded, they likely wouldn't have caught.

The nucanoe looks very interesting though I was surprised when I saw how much it weighed. That might be a factor for Jim since he said he's in his mid-60's. Hoisting 80+ pounds of nucanoe might not be as easy as the 57 pounds or so of a Hobie...even less I think if he went for the shorter Hobie Sport.

Jim - for canoes and kayaks, the shorter they are, the slower the are. The wider they are, the slower they are. That's why touring kayaks are 16' long and really skinny. The Hobie Sport may end up being a little slower than the Outback simply because it's a fair bit shorter.

Odds are, it'll be fast enough for what you want but like others have said, it REALLY is something you should try before you buy.

And not just a quick 5 minute test ride. Spend an hour or two in each model. Find out if you end up with "hot spots" or if your legs feel weird.

In my Outback, I put my feet down when I'm anchored or drifting. Otherwise, they'll eventually feel a little sleepy. I've spent 3+ hours at a time in my Outback and only stopped due to the call of nature.

I'd love to try a nucanoe one of these days but I think my wife might get a bit grumpy if another watercraft follows me home any time soon...

Thanks to the very informative input form all of you, I think I am going to go to Portland next weekend and look at the Hobie Sport. Hopefully I can get a chance to try one out. I still wonder just how you can go (pee) in one of those. Also, the NuCanoe has a place for an anchor, just how have you rigged an anchor on the Hobie? Jim Harper

Quote Originally Posted by 4beader View Post
    Thanks to the very informative input form all of you, I think I am going to go to Portland next weekend and look at the Hobie Sport. Hopefully I can get a chance to try one out. I still wonder just how you can go (pee) in one of those. Also, the NuCanoe has a place for an anchor, just how have you rigged an anchor on the Hobie? Jim Harper
    I land and get out of the Hobie when nature calls. I suppose you could try something like a pilot-relief-tube like some pilots have but I'd rather not warm the water I'm fishing in.

There are gel packs sold for hunters who don't want to leave their deer stands and don't want to create a scent near them...

As for anchoring...I put a "cam cleat" as far back as I could comfortably reach from the seat. I picked a style that's open on top so I can easily toss the anchor line overboard if I get in a jam (waves, current, whatever...the anchor can be a liability on any small craft and being able to quickly dump it can be important).

I have a float on the top end of my anchor line so if I toss it over, I should be able to retrieve it later (unless I'm in water deeper than my anchor line and that's very very very rare for me).

I also added Scotty rod mounts since the built-in rod holders are intended for spin rods. I've tried a couple of styles...I generally put a backer inside the kayak where they're attached. I use a material like you'd find in cutting boards (got it from TAP Plastics' scrap bin or just find a cheap cutting board). I'm probably being way over cautious though....but at least for the cam cleat since it'l have the strain of the anchor on it...

Other folks like an anchor system that lets them move where the anchor's pull is hitting. Some of those don't allow for a quick getaway so look closely if you go that route.

Before you drill any holes for attaching things, make sure you can reach that spot from inside the yak (if you need to put a nut underneath, it really helps if you can reach...).

Different models have the hatches in different places and they move the hatches year to year as well. I have two Outbacks purchased a couple years apart and the hatch locations forced different rod mount locations.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

The NuCanoe has the following optional equipment that can be purchased and installed on their crafts:

Anchor system that contains the anchor, rope, rope cleat, eyelets to run the rope through plus excellent instructions on how to install

Double paddle hold down same as above: comes with everything needed plus installation instructions

2 different style padded seats with backs that fold out of the way when not needed

2-wheeled dolly to strap onto the NuCanoe for transporting across country when needed

Rod holders that screw down into the threaded holes where the seats can be relocated

Pre-formed area in boat for a battery if you use an electric trolling motor

Extension handle for the trolling motor

A foot controlled trolling motor

A dry box that straps down into the boat at any location you want it via the many pre-installed tie down straps--this box could be used for a cooler or anything else you so desire

Not sure if that is all the optional equipment but I think it is. Heard a rumor that they are working on a fold away leaning bar option which I would be interested in trying

No, I do not have all the optional equipment on mine. I do have the extra seat for my 10 footer in case the wife or someone else wants to go along. The 12 footer comes with 2 seats. I also purchased their anchor system, the double paddle hold-down system and 2 of the padded seats with backs. At the present time, that is all I need for mine. I do not plan to use an electic motor. I really do not feel it is needed plus I do not want to haul around the battery nor do I want to have to pay the State each year to have it registered. The only optional equipment I would be interested in trying would be the fold-away leaning bar when they come out with it.

No, I am not connected with NuCanoe and I do not receive any thing from them for promoting them. I just like mine very much and urge everyone to at least look at one and demo one. They are not for everyone, but, for me, they are perfect....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Couple of things,,, you can stand up in the nucanoe,,, and they support FAOL as a sponsor. I'm sure you have looked on here at the information about them.

JC, of course I have. That is the primary reason I am considering one. They just happen to help support the BEST fly fishing site. Jim Harper

Angry

I forgot to mention that my local NuCanoe dealer here in Yakima wants full retail (I know that is usual) PLUS he wants $150 for a delivery fee to his store from the factory in Bellingham, WA. I am not sure but I don't think this is normal practice and that is a big minus for the NuCanoe. I just think when buying from a dealer there ought to be little if any charges for his getting the boat to sell me. Jim Harper
    Last edited by 4beader; 06-05-2008 at 01:41 AM. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread