+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: float tube question

I am fairly certain that this is the valve:

Holy Crap, that is what inflates my seats, not the tube. That isn't a roberts that I know of.

FG, I'm thinking he's talking about the kind of valves we have on the NavII's for the inflatable seats.

Edit:Guess you beat me to it....I hadn't seen these last posts.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    FG, I'm thinking he's talking about the kind of valves we have on the NavII's for the inflatable seats.

Edit:Guess you beat me to it....I hadn't seen these last posts.

I get that, but that is not a ROBERTS valve, which the comparison says it is?
    I have never seen that valve on a Urethane bladder is all. I think it is a typo, but I don't really care one way or the other. My early SFC had Urethane bladders with a similar set-up. It was a tube, but it had a button in the middle also to inflat and deflate. The cap would fit in the tube upside down to deflate. That tube was about 15 yrs ago.

My current SFC has the Roberts for the tube and the older type valve you mention above for the seat. I think the ones on the Navs and the one alaska describes are a newer version.

OK..I've spent a little time on the Halkey-Roberts site.... http://www.halkey-roberts.com/listpr...lation+Systems

and both valves are made by them the seat ones and the ones alaska has are made by Halkey-Roberts the smaller is an "oral valve"........too bad the tube companies don't differentiate.

Well, I've beat that to death.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 05-23-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Default It is what it is

This has been very informative for me. I think I am going to look into changing out these stem valves to the Halkey... can't be too difficult. Anyone ever done that? What kind of glue for the urethane bladder?

I do use a pump (however jerry-rigged) to inflate the tube... my lungs just aren't that good. It is OK to top things off on the shore after a leak but that is about it...

Thanks for the education.

The one he posted I don't see on the site.
    But, I had this one on my SFC:

And this little defator cap:

If it is the same valve as on the seats of our boats, that would not be a good thing. The caps can pop on those too easy.

How did we get this far off subject....Oh it was me, sorry
    I am done now, and great review there Alaska.

ok, so, n ow that you guys are done arguing about valves, what do you think, the fish cat 4, the togiak, or the caddis pro 2000? they're all about the same price. I just want one that isn't going to break on me and leave me without a boat. I fish too much for that kind of hassle if I can avoid it.
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Default Any

Quote Originally Posted by hugefish_80 View Post
    ok, so, n ow that you guys are done arguing about valves, what do you think, the fish cat 4, the togiak, or the caddis pro 2000? they're all about the same price. I just want one that isn't going to break on me and leave me without a boat. I fish too much for that kind of hassle if I can avoid it.
    Wasn't arguing, simply exploring... sorry for the appearance of a hijack.

I think that any of the tubes you mention would be fine. I am indeed happy with the Togiak and to get urethane bladders for the price is most definitely a plus, however, the valve (the tangent that the thread took) may be the weak link. But, it may be reasonable to replace the valve to the higher quality. The Togiak also is 10 pounds and carries 350

The Fish Cat 4 does have the vinyl bladder (I have had very bad experience with vinyl bladders and seam failures) and less carrying capacity (250#) but weighs more. It does have beefier outer covering.

The Caddis is very similar in design, but has vinyl bladders, I haven't been able to find a weight or carrying capacity but suspect it is less than the Togiak, maybe closer to the Fish Cat.

I have 2 of the Togiaks and no complaints, other than the valve issue.

Good luck

+ Reply to Thread