+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: float tube question

I have the super fat cat -- and I weigh 245. Mine is a couple of years old and I have never had a problem. I think they have been redesigned so you sit a little higher now but I haven't had any problems with the old design.

My concern about sitting too high is getting my legs far enough into the water to be efficient when I am kicking.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
    I have the super fat cat -- and I weigh 245. Mine is a couple of years old and I have never had a problem. I think they have been redesigned so you sit a little higher now but I haven't had any problems with the old design.

My concern about sitting too high is getting my legs far enough into the water to be efficient when I am kicking.

I don't find that any problem, but the right flipper does make a difference. I use Force Fins (which sadly enough cost more than this tube) and I have no problem in my pontoon boat. But even my Navigator and my H3, my bum is out of the water and I can use the regular fins that sell for around $40. and move great. I still prefer the FF but just saying the less expensive ones work fine.
    I am betting however, that you will need to wear at least waist high waders, as your back side will get wet.

alaskanfishguides, are you sure the bladders are Urethane. I have looked at several different ads and no where does it say they are, which with the low price makes me think they are Vinyl.

I also use the force fins -- and you're right. They are expensive but work well. Kind of heavy for packing the whole outfit into a lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
    I also use the force fins -- and you're right. They are expensive but work well. Kind of heavy for packing the whole outfit into a lake.
    They are heavy, I also have the BACK PACKER flippers, not sure where I got them but they are a flat hard rubber fin with padded cloth uppers. They fold flat. When I had a SFC, I just stuck them under the foam seat. I didn't have the inflatable seat.
    Now a days, I am never that far from the water that I can't carry everything down.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    [/b]

alaskanfishguides, are you sure the bladders are Urethane. I have looked at several different ads and no where does it say they are, which with the low price makes me think they are Vinyl.
    Thanks for the question. Indeed, this does have a urethane bladder. Here is a float tube Comparison chart where it clearly indicates a urethane bladder.

I do have one issue/caution for the Togiak however. The valve stems are located in a large storage compartment. It is possible to bump the valve, causing a slow leak. I would prefer that this was in a protected dedicated compartment.

Also, many of the complaints for this tube are hot weather blow outs... Of course, that isn't a real issue for me.. living in Alaska that is. Nevertheless, there is a clear warning on the tube to vent some pressure out if storing in hot weather.

I have had several belly boats from round to u boats and this is by far superior to the others. As I stated before, there are many other options and no doubt higher quality tubes, but for the money this is a great buy.

alaskanfishguides, thank you for the answer. But it also says they have Halkey Roberts Valves. I love those vlaves, but I do use the cap. Do these not have a cap? Every boat I have had except the donut and the old SFC had the Roberts Valves with a plastic cover cap.

At any rate, this boat is looking better and better.

Default Valves

alaskanfishguides, thank you for the answer. But it also says they have Halkey Roberts Valves. I love those vlaves, but I do use the cap. Do these not have a cap? Every boat I have had except the donut and the old SFC had the Roberts Valves with a plastic cover cap.

At any rate, this boat is looking better and better.
    I have to plead ignorance on that one. These valves have a conical plastic end that you twist to open/close. I had to do a speed test yesterday because in the process of getting in and out of the fly boxes I may have bumped this enough to cause a leak (I am assuming here; I got to shore and orally reinflated and it held air for the rest of the trip).

There is not any kind of cover that goes over the stem that I am aware of anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    I have to plead ignorance on that one. These valves have a conical plastic end that you twist to open/close. I had to do a speed test yesterday because in the process of getting in and out of the fly boxes I may have bumped this enough to cause a leak (I am assuming here; I got to shore and orally reinflated and it held air for the rest of the trip).

There is not any kind of cover that goes over the stem that I am aware of anyhow.

That could be a big problem then. You just have to slightly push on the little stem in the middle and it shoots air. I guess a Velcro patch could be added easy enough. Even duct tape after inflation. Thanks again.

Default wrong valve?

That could be a big problem then. You just have to slightly push on the little stem in the middle and it shoots air. I guess a Velcro patch could be added easy enough. Even duct tape after inflation. Thanks again.
    That sounds like a valve that I had on a caddis tube.. this on twists to open and close... I suppose it is possible that I didn't close it firm enough in the beginning, however my quick run to shore was after 4 hours of fishing (plus a 1 hour truck ride to the trail and a 30 minute hike).

Anyhow, this is not the push in type of valve, rather a twist to open/close.

Your suggestions sound very good though. It is often the simple things in life that get past me...

These are the Halkey Roberts valves I have on my boats:

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...1470&src=champ

I know Roberts makes allot of valves but this is the only one I have seen on a tube. Can you find a picture of what you are talking about?

+ Reply to Thread