+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying case suggestions for vise, tools, etc

OT:

I do the travel thing with a large duffel too but I keep my tools in a large Plano box with adjustable dividers in my tying desk drawer all the time and when I travel I just pop it in the duffel. The rest of my materials go in zip lock bags separated by color.

I did spring for one of those Renzetti vise cases which handles my Traveler but any old pouch or bag will work. Were you smart enough to save the box from your Renzetti? That nice box will make a great way to take it along even if you just use the foam insert.

Zip lock bags handle the rest of my stuff.

Mike -

This is not directly on point, but might help figure out how big a case you need and keep it organized. ( The idea comes from several fellows who come to the local fly shop for tying demos. ) Decide which kinds of flies you will want to tie, and how many of them. Put enough materials for each fly in a separate sandwich bag and use masking tape to label it for the pattern it contains. You might be surprised at how little materials you will end up taking with you.

The vice* and tools are another matter, but they are not usually the source of clutter and pretty much take care of themselves.

John

* spelling intended
    The fish are always right.

Hi All;
    I have a plastic breif case that I've pondered as using as a portable tying station. The base could hold the vice and large items and the file folder area could store feathers, capes, etc.

anyone ever done something like this?

wayneb

I took these pictures for a similar thread some time ago...so here they are....this worked for me when I was carrying ....it has compartments [capes fit well]....small tools went in a plastic box....vise slipped nicely into one of the compartments.

Blog Entries

Smile Joann's ArtBin Carrying Case

I went to my local JoAnn fabric and craft store and purchased a product from ArtBin, their ArtBin ClicknGo bag. The center compartment is a hard plastic box which hold the vise and some soft items you may want to carry. One side compartment has a snap lid plastic box where you can adjust the internal compartments. The other side has a zippered compartment for storing loose items. It also has a shoulder strap to pack the container around, or you use the handle of the center plastic box to carry it.

This comes in two sizes, the Medium sells for $33.99 and the Large is $40.99. By the way, if you use a 40% off coupon you can get them at a really great price.

Medium:
    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3718&PRODID=prd47577&source=s earch

Large:
    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat3570&PRODID=prd47395&source=s earch

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

MR. BLUR:

I will be glad to finally meet and see you at the clear water junction. I will be there tying my Bergman Wet flies. Hopefully, you can do a little fishing with me.

Andy Brasko
    Catskill Fly Tyers Guild

Blog Entries

Default Good to go

like JohnScott, i package the ingredients for what i'm likely to tie in ziplok bags. most classes you go to will supply ingredients other than thread.

the vise and tools all go in a soft make-up kit that's about 3x3x7 with two levels. the bottom level is big enough for the vise and its base, as well as 6 or 7 spools of thread in likely colors. the divisions in the top, which were designed for make-up brushes and so on, hold the tools very nicely. if i only use the c-clamp for the vise, i can tuck in a small tying light--a godsend for tying in the badly-lit places where they seem to hold classes.

all of this goes in the bottom of the duffle or suitcase.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

I have to put my .02 in on this one. I use a plano hip roof tackle box for my travel kit. Got it a Wally-Mart for 19.00. the lure tray hold and keep my threads,tools,and other spooled material seperated. The larger tray holds my vice with plenty of room in the bottom for hackle necks and other large materials. I use the myran boxes drilled out for dubbing selections and Keogh tyers grade hackle in this setup. It is always in the car trunk.

Tom

I have been doing so many shows I had to come up with something mobile.
    I put all my supplies (or at least a good supply and store the rest at home) in BAGGIES. Like Hackle / Schlappin / Chenille / etc. so I can grab a baggie and be good to go. I then went to Walmart and bought this Rolling Stanley Tool Box http://www.stanleytools.com/default....le+Work+Center

This thing is awesome. The top comes off for a small carry box and the bottom holds tons of gear and material. I even put my light/mag and base along with my Renzetti and my Vosseler in the bottom. The top has a removeable tray so perfect for tools. Plus a lot of room for more baggies under the tray.
    It was around $30. and sooooo worth it. To top it off, there is a pocket on the front I carry a piece of plastic. Put the plastic on top, them vise and tie right there.

Smile

You live in a city that should have a "Sears" Go in and ckeck out their gray plastic tool box line--Mine doesnt look like was made for tools. A lid ,two lift out trays and plenty of room in the bottom for my vise and ott-light, skins and larger items. First tray thread and hook,next tray all the chenille yarns etc. A small pastic box for tools a small two wheel added luggage cart and im off to tying shows. I cant see try to find things in bags or drawers-- I want everything in the open while tying. BILL

+ Reply to Thread