+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Bass Pro and flyfishing

Default Opinions on Bass Pro and flyfishing

What's you take or expierence on Bass Pro and Flyfishing. I have a new store opening in my area. Thanks

Blog Entries

Well, I bought Hobbs Creek reels #3 and #4 a few weeks ago, and christened #3 with a steelhead this morning. Other than that, never used any of their flyfishing products.

Dennis

The Hobbs Creek product line and above represent good quality, acceptable aesthetics, and outstanding value for their price ranges, IMHO.

I've bought quite a bit from them (mostly on sale, which makes it even more attractive) and have been very pleased with every purchase.

Jim

I agree with Jim on the Hobbs Creek stuff. Their higher end rods look very nice, but I haven't cast them.

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned on a previous thread that their reels are made by Okuma.

I have a Hobbs creek 5 wt.outfit with a HC 2 reel works great.cast real nice very forgiving over and over again.I need forgiving with my cast.Found the guy in the flyshop area very nice and polite also very informed but found that the rest of the story somewhat standoffish near snooty.Felt very cold,like they were having to put out to much effort to even look up.Other than the flyshop I get better service at Walmart and that aint sayin alot.

Are you talking about there products or there selection of materials and things.

nighthawk Guest

The one in Harrisburg, Pa. doesn't impress me in the least. The local fly shops, Gander Mountain and Cabela's are by far the better all around choices.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Air Cavalry all the way! When a voice cries out in distress, we will be there, no matter what the cost.

Blog Entries

BassPro is fairly close to me, about a half an hour away. I like the place. I can get a decent assortment of fly-tying stuff there as well as rods, reels, etc. Some of the people in the fly fishing area of the Nashville BassPro are as nice as you'll find anywhere and some of them are quite knowledgeable. Some of them seem to know a little and some of them have agendas to push, such as a friend's guide service. I had to tell one kid that I had no interest in going down to the Keys to fish with a certain guide etc... He was appalled and wanted to do a hard sell, but a bit of polite firmness solved that problem and he hasn't bothered me since. At the opposite end of the spectrum are some great guys who really know their stuff and are always fun to talk to. I tend to go on certain days when I know that they are likely to be there. It IS a big chain and thus it is party to some of the problems (at least perceived problems) party to that. It isn't our late, lamented fly shop The Fly Chucker, but it is at least a salve. Now they need a coffee pot, rocking chairs, and a dog...
    I still send orders of to Cabela's on a regular basis. Hmmmm, I wonder how many hooks I would have to buy to be able to order them directly from Mustad...
    Ed

Nighthawk's assessment is pretty much spot on; if you are looking for a very well stocked fly shop you may be disappointed. My gut reaction is that Bass Pro is really targeting the casual or beginning FF'er.

BUT if you dabble in the dark art of hardware chuckin' like I do your head will explode at the selection of non-flyfishing stuff.

I've bought some flies from them,are of
    low quality though.As for the reels,rods,i
    assume they are built overseas,but one poster stated okuma made the reels but are
    okumas built overseas?For starter kits they may be fine.I have two stores within two hours of me.I don't go there mostly because all they carry in bass fishing is the newer lures and i prefer the older tackle stores with the older lures.

+ Reply to Thread