+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which rod holder for my toon?

Default which rod holder for my toon?

I need a fly rod holder for my pontoon. There are many out there. If I can buy something that works for $15 or $20 that would be great without spending $60 for a piece of pvc. Thanks for the ideas. This is the boat:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's my opinion, and opinions are like you know what. But after the number of years I've been 'toon'n, the Scotty rod holder is the best I've found. There might be others out there that are better, but I'm not aware of any. You can probably find cheaper, but does a high $$$$ item like a fly rod and reel and line deserve a good holder? So take it from there.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by RS1; 05-06-2008 at 01:26 AM.

Clay;
    Here's one I made that will protect an 8' rod.

I got tangled up with an under water stump that actually snapped one of the wire bundle ties holding the rod holder to the pondoon! The rod survived!!
    I slotted a piece of 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe on my table saw, added an end cap and notched the tube so the reel was trapped. I also pop riveted a velcro strap just ahead of the reel. The rod holder is attached to the pontoon frame with wire bundle ties through a couple of holes in the side of the tube. That way I can just lay the rod into the holder and if I feel I need a little more security I close the velcro strap.
    Use the lettering on the PVC pipe to guide your cuts.

Thumbs up

I've stopped using any fly rod holder on my toon that needs an elastic strap to be 100% sure the rod won't come loose, after too many close calls of dropping them, and the time it takes to undo the elastic and grab the rod.

GnuBee turned me onto the DownEast rod holders...they come in bolt-on, clamp-on, and tube clamp bases. The rod sits in them with the reel facing up, and to release you just grab the rod and pull up. To swivel them, you just pull up and rotate to the desired position.

I have 3 on my toon. I keep a rod with floating line, one with intermediate line, and one with full sink. If I want to troll while I'm rowing, I can just reach back and swivel whichever rod I need to face forward, over my leg and under my oars. If there's a strike, just grab the rod upwards and it releases. I've never even had a close call of losing the rod with these.

The only disadvantage is that the metal rod holder can scuff up your rod and reel--some 3mm craft foam and some 3M-77 spray adhesive solves that problem.

They are $30, and you can get them from the manufacturer; our Sportsman's Warehouse here in CO stocks all 3 mounting types.

http://www.down-east.com/

DANBOB
    Last edited by danbob; 05-07-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Default My choice...

I have the bigger brother to your 'toon and I like the scotty rod holder. It stays put and workd great.

Blog Entries

Smile Scotty Rod Holder

Clay,

RS1 and Beigefoot are right. I have been using the Scotty Rod Holder for many years.

When I first saw then used was on the boats at Tofino, BC, where we fished for salmon. The rod holders worked great even when an 18 pounder would slam the fly and either take off for the ocean or to the air.

I use the strap on mount on my WaterMaster Raft and on my Pontoon boat. I use two Scotty Rod Holders, one to hold my spare rod and one to use for my main rod.

You can't go wrong with a Scotty.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Thanks everyone for the good tips. I was in my boat this week and placed the rod and reel outfit in my stripping basket. I kept telling myself that if I lost that outfit, the rod holder would have been very cheap insurance indeed. I won't be back on the water until I get a rod holder. It's nice to see a reasonably priced product get such good reviews. Thanks guys,

Rick

Default toon

get one long handle net
    saftey
    fine lish rod lesh etc,

Normand Guest

try this one from the creek company

http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdis...&Cat=3&Cat1=10

I simply made my own from some PVC electrical conduit. I used the basic design similar the what is shown in Norman's link above.

I did make one change the the design that has been useful. The original Creek Outfitter's design has a slot approx. 3/4" wide X 4" long that allows the reel foot to stick out. I made an additional cut, one apprx. 2" long and 1" wide that tirns the slot into an L shape. Sort of like this....(please excuse the make shift graphic, I will get a camera someday)

original design

------------------
    |
    ------------------

modified design

-------------------
    |
    |___|-------------

Now when I slide the handle into the slot I can rotate the reel 90 degrees and lock the reel foot into the L. This locks my rod into place without and velcro or strap. Best of all I can grab the rod or lock it down with only one hand.

I made about 4 of these from a $6 section of PVC.
    Last edited by kengore; 05-16-2008 at 04:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread