+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is 'catch and release' cruelty???

Default Is 'catch and release' cruelty???

I've been thinking about this. The recent thread about TV fishing brought it to my mind again.

We all like to fish. Most of us 'catch and release' or, as it used to be called, 'throwback' most if not all of the fish we catch.

Sometimes you have to pull the blinders and recognize what we are actually doing:

We are enticing a living creature to take into it's oral cavity something it 'believes is' or 'reacts to as' food, that really is not food. It's a fake that contains a sharp steel hook, that, after the fish 'bites' it, we pull on to jam it into the flesh of the fish's mouth. We keep tension on this penetrating instrument so that it won't, ideally, come out of where it's lodged until WE decide to take it out.

One end of this hook is tied to a line that the fish can't be aware of. We pull on one end, and the fish, having no clue or experience with such things, fights for it's survival against us. The fish struggles not because it wants to give us 'good sport' but because to not struggle means to perish. The fish knows not that we will 'let it go', it only knows the mind numbing terror of being dragged about by unseen forces beyond it's control that are surely leading it to it's demise.

At the conclusion of this struggle, the poor fish is often lifted from it's natural domaine, where it can't breath, often for extended periods of time (remember that the fish can't breath. What seems like a quick dive into the bag for the camera for you can seem like an eternity to a disoriented creature that can't breath and has just exhausted itself in a life or death struggle). We take proud pictures, hold them up for admiration, and then, feeling somehow merciful and noble, place them back into the water....

Now, mind you, we do this to a creature that many of us profess to hold in high esteem, if not look upon with great love and respect.

Do we take the time to consider what damage that hook point may do? Do we know how it might effect how the fish feeds, how it tastes or deals with it's food.

Do we take the time to consider how that massive expenditure of energy might damage the fish itself, effect it's ability to grow, to reproduce, or to even survive? We blindly put it back, feeling good about it, even. But is that fish now too exhausted to avoid a predator? Heal from a wound? Did we stunt it's growth?

Will the fish even survive? Many don't. Catch and release is not without it's mortality rate. In warm water environs, it can reach ten or fifteen percent, but is almost always at least in the three to five percent area. In cold waters it can average less, but most trout are more delicate than most warmwater species and improper handling can cause this rate to skyrocket. AND, you never 'see' it, as these fish die slowly and don't become the 'floaters' that many associate with mortality. Many of those fish we released died a slow and painful death.

And, even more troubling, we did this for FUN. Not to feed ourselves, not to take our rightful place in the circle of life, but just for the shear enjoyment of it all. Are we are all enjoying the terrorizing of a lesser creature?

We do pay for the priveledge. It's our own dollars that support the habitat, stockings, and regulators that keep the fishing reasonable and safe. But, can we justify it?

Is THIS is the argument that damns us in the eyes of those who seek to stop us? How can such a thing be 'fun'?

It's certainly something to think about.

Buddy
    Last edited by Buddy Sanders; 05-08-2008 at 05:46 AM.
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

Well Buddy,

Some of the points you've made I HAVE thought about in the past. Mostly recently when watching people trout fish. But, the main thing I've wondered about lately is people cutting the line and leaving the hook in the fishes mouth or stomache. They say "It'll rust and be gone in two days". 2 DAYS???? Is this true? What is in the fishes system that causes it to rust SO fast?

Very good points. Won't stop me from fishing, and certainly won't stop me from C&R, since I can't clean a fish to save my life haha. But, one think I will say Buddy, is the fish certainly have a better chance at surviving being released than not being put back in water

Take care,
    Shane

You make some good points. Some of them I agree with. I see many fly fisherman only, believe that catch and release is THEE only option. If you think that if it is wrong to harm any fish the next logical step is to stop fishing. I kill fish. I kill fish for fun. I enjoy killing fish. I enjoy eating their flesh. It excites me to kill fish. I don't kill every fish that I catch. I release most of the trout that I catch, but I also realize that there is a mortality rate involved with pure catch and release, so the ones that I release that don't survive are a pure waste since I did not consume it's flesh.

I would best describe myslef as a conservationalist. Which means that I respect the resource and I use it wisely. I am not a meat hog, in other words I don't kill every fish that I catch. I don't have freezers that big, nor would I want to butcher, cut them up, or remove their flesh from their bones. I'm being blunt on purpose. So many people are so far removed from their food source that many children think that a chicken is something that comes in yellow paper from McDonalds or in the grocery store all wrapped up in plastic.

I think that PETA and groups like that have done a great job in getting some sportsman to agree with their teachings on some level. I think that this type of thought pattern is our worst enemy.

If I look closely at my hands tonight I can still see red blood on them. I killed 18 crappies tonight. I put their living bodies on ice for the ride home. Then I proceeded to cut the white flesh off of their bones. Tomorrow my family will enjoy their flesh.

Maybe I am looking for a little shock effect. I recognize what I do, but I don't have any issues with it. Now, please go find me one vegetarian fish.

Rick

Geez, if thats the way someone feels or thinks when they go fishing they should stop fishing. Ill take all your unwanted fishing tackle of your hands

Blog Entries

Clay, you crack me up You're also right!

I'd release everything I catch. Not because I believe that's the way. But because I fish mostly very warm water, and the thames, which isn't the greatest water to be eating fish from in the first place. So I'm told. The other reason, is because I can't fillet a fish to save my life, and in reality, I don't want to practice on fish to throw them out and kill them for nothing. Otherwise, I wouldn't release all of them.

I think PETA are crazy people. For the most part anyways.

Shane

Talking

Catch and Release------I manage two warm water ponds and tell the people to toss (release) the small fish that they catch up on the bank. Sometime you just have too many little ones. I eat fish and give many away. Have a freezer with trout bluegill and bass. Caught a 12 pd carp vesterday and tossed it in the woods for the raccoons to eat Just call me cruel. BILL

Default Disprove

Buddy,
    You've asked many questions, some of which you have already answered. I do believe that many fly fishermen contemplate many of the questions you've asked. I also believe we've done everything we can, short of stopping altogether, to minimize the effects of catch and release fishing. If done correctly, considering the fish, water conditions, where the fish is hooked, hook point, etc, then I feel the chances of fish survival are very good and much better than if we knocked them over the head and put them on a stringer.

I have absolutely nothing against eating one's catch. Catching and putting them in the freezer, letting them sit for months then tossing them out, however, is a real waste. So, to minimize the affects, I continue to practice catch and release and I'm always on the alert and stay aware of methods and techniques to improve fish survival while still enjoying the sport. I believe the majority of fly fishermen follow the same practice.

Mark

Any fish I release, I handle properly and release them quickly.

Any fish I keep, I dispatch them asap with a knock to head. Most times it only takes one hit.

I sleep well at night.

Quote Originally Posted by OttoDita View Post
    the main thing I've wondered about lately is people cutting the line and leaving the hook in the fishes mouth or stomache. They say "It'll rust and be gone in two days". 2 DAYS???? Is this true? What is in the fishes system that causes it to rust SO fast
    Two days??
    ...not even in four months!

Hooks In or Hooks Out?
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread