+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: So what do you do?

WOW!!!!
    A lot has happened since I posted on this thread back in Dec. of 05.
    The first Michigan Fish-In was in the planning stage and now the third one is coming up.
    Tennessee was not even in my thoughts. Now I live here!
    Trout fishing several days every month of the year was only something to dream about. As was no more snow shoveling!
    I think of all the names I've put faces too since then, WOW! again!

I am retired Law Enforcement, Yakima County Sheriff's Dept., currently Human Resource Mgr.
    for a co. that hires and trains individuals with a disability. I am fortunate to have time to spend on the rivers, streams, and lakes in the Pacific NWest. I am fortunate too to have my youngest son as a steady fishing partner. We have also recently added a third to our adventures my oldest g/son (12 years) he seems to be developing a love for f/fishing as well. He loves to tie and as tied in some demonstration seminars already as well as being a member in our local fly club. My off time it seems is spent on healing from surgeries as I developed arthritis at age 50 and the last nine years I have had 14 arthritic surgeries., knees, shoulders,elbows,thumbs. A partial and total left knee and total rt. knee. Both thumbs with the cartilage replaced with tendons. I am currently into the sixth day from having the rt. thumb done. I must say though that i have two Orthopedic Surgeons that fly fish so they keep me upright and in the water and we all know that when we are in the water we feel no pain. I love to throw the fly and I guess that is what drives me.

WOW,
    Since I see that some of you are going back and reading some of the original replies I must to "come clean". Contrary to my earlier poss, I was NEVER a test driver for Porsche. I also was NEVER a matador and likewise, NEVER a CIA operative. I sincerely regret if my comments caused any misunderstanding. I was real tired that day. Thank you in advance for understanding.

Mark

Default IT Professional

I'm an IT Professional. My actual job title is System Administrator, but that is pretty nebulous. My day to day duties are maintaining the systems which provide our product to our clients, helping clients when they have problems, system specification and ordering, and generally whatever else they can come up with for me to do.

I've worked in software development for a college textbook publisher, desktop/laptop support for a major state university, and now I work for a company in the financial services industry.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    WOW,
    Since I see that some of you are going back and reading some of the original replies I must to "come clean". Contrary to my earlier poss, I was NEVER a test driver for Porsche. I also was NEVER a matador and likewise, NEVER a CIA operative. I sincerely regret if my comments caused any misunderstanding. I was real tired that day. Thank you in advance for understanding.

Mark
    and here I thought we had so much in common!
    what a bunch of bull Marco! well back to the ring for me a least...

Take care

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Blog Entries

Default I do good

I've worked in a kitchen of some sort for the last 20 years or so. Usually Greeks get this urge to open a restaurant...must be a puberty thing or what...don't know. Me? Nahhh.
    Been a kitchen helper and nothing more.
    Working in the kitchen of an institution like the psych hospital where I'm at now, is a lot of fun: get to meet all sorts of people from different walks of life.
    The 'crazy' poeple, are the ones I work with!
    Just turned 40 recently and reaffrimed two things:
    one; You never stop learning
    two; everyone and I mean EVERYone, is your teacher.

The neat thing about the mundane, brainless job I do (which fits me ever soooooo fine!) is that it increases the value of all the things I really love to do. And that includes (what else?) fishing.

So...thank you job.

Health to you all and yours,
    Larry

Talking

Wow, what a cool thread. I wasn't even fly fishing when it began. I would first like to thank all the men and women here, past and present, who serve our country.
    I make my living brewing beer for a local brewery. It is a career that I love and am very passionate about. I also work part time remodeling houses. From the sounds of it we could run our own town with all the different occupation we have. Flyville USA!

Lots of interesting and varied professions here and what an interesting thread. It would be a pleasure to sit down with anyone one of you and discuss professions.

I am an aquatic ecologist. Like many of my colleagues in the field I came to the profession via my love for hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, etc.

Rick

I work customer service for a large national heavy haul trucking company. I have dedicated accounts whose freight I have to watch over, but the "funnest" part of the job is trying to get backhauls for empty trucks sitting in the middle of nowhere.

We haul mostly construction equipment and having spent most of the previous 20 years of my life as some sort of peddler of that type of stuff this job is a great fit. The best part is I still get to sort of be around the heavy machines and I'm reconnecting with many people I have known for years and getting them to have us haul their freight which keeps the salesman part of me happy.

I also indulge my sales side by selling boats and ATV's part time in the evenings.

Regards,
    Avalon

Default What do I do?

What do I do to pay for my fishing. I do so much that it just boggles my mind. Im an electrician for the United States Army. I am a civilian . Took my first electrical class in the seventh grade at the age of 12 years old. Im 52 now and will be 53 in October. Do the math . Seems like forever that I have been doing this stuff and am soooooo tired of it.
    As HRH said in one of her posts " I dont know what I want to do when I grow up" so this electrical thing is to keep me and the "Bride" from starving in the mean while. There is more to me than the job and fishing . This was just an answer to a question.
    This is the coolest thread that I have seen here in a while (and its been here for so long ) . Its truley an interesting and wonderful thing to see the societal cross section that has replied to this post. Just goes to show that you just dont know who you'll meet on the stream.

Always be kind to strangers ,
    they may be angles of the Lord.

+ Reply to Thread