+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner tips??

Default welcome

get knot tool for pesky neial knots make live easier

While the previous advice is a true way of filling your reel with the optimum amount of backing, it is usually more of a PIA than it's worth for backing you may never see again until it's time for a new line. The only time I have seen my backing on my 4wt is when I hooked a 15lb carp last summer. Even then I only saw maybe 30yds of it. An easy way with alot less stress is to fill your reel 1/3 to less than 1/2 full with backing. Then put on your line. If it turns out to be too much it's alot easier to take off 90' of line and a little backing then to remove 100 - 200 yds of backing plus line, turn it around and start over.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Enjoy your new gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Line View Post
    While the previous advice is a true way of filling your reel with the optimum amount of backing, it is usually more of a PIA than it's worth for backing you may never see again until it's time for a new line. The only time I have seen my backing on my 4wt is when I hooked a 15lb carp last summer. Even then I only saw maybe 30yds of it. An easy way with alot less stress is to fill your reel 1/3 to less than 1/2 full with backing. Then put on your line. If it turns out to be too much it's alot easier to take off 90' of line and a little backing then to remove 100 - 200 yds of backing plus line, turn it around and start over.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Enjoy your new gear!

Amen to that!

Welcome to the board, you have found a great home to learn all about FF.

Everyone has given you some good suggestions/hints but I have to second Jack's advice on filling out the reel....it may be a bit of a pain to fully load the reel with the proper amount of backing, but what ever method you choose try to fill the reel to full capacity. This will help minimize the memory loops from your fly line. Fly Goddess has a great suggestion on taking it to the fly shop if you don't have a spooler.

AND here is a book to consider..... "The COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE to Fly Fishing, by Michael D. Shook. (Alpha Books) (I hope it's still in print, my issue is a 1999.

I was given this book as a joke, because as the giver stated, I was a fly fishing idiot! But it is one of the best reference books I have ever used. It is packed full of really straight forward information, that is simple and easy to understand.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Bob

~~~ Fly Fish the Cumberland, it will make you live longer.~~~

Find a fly fishing mentor in your area and get some assistance with getting started. You can learn a bunch on your own and through this site but someone with experience can really be valuable for a beginner. Perhaps there is a local fly club or you can ask friends is they know any fly fishers. It is a good bet that there might be someone on this site from your area who would be willing to help you out.

Rick

Re: to trying to fully fill your reel...if you are like me when out fishing and reeling in ...the line isn't spooled as perfectly...so it can be too full after all that trouble....been there done that...just another warning.

7. Default

I just read the reel specs and it says for backing, 30 yrds @20#. The kit came with 50 yrds of 20#. From what I've read and heard here, if I use half I should be in the ballpark. I also think I'll wait til I have some help, two heads are better than one, not to mention someone else to blame.

Normand Guest

dont lose the little tag on the end of the fly line that says "this end to reel"

youll be back here asking which end do i put on the reel!!

take a casting lesson at your local fly shop. youll be glad you did!!

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    dont lose the little tag on the end of the fly line that says "this end to reel"

youll be back here asking which end do i put on the reel!!

take a casting lesson at your local fly shop. youll be glad you did!!
    I haven't unrolled the fly line yet, but I'm assuming it is DT line. It doesn't have a tag showing which end goes to the reel, and both ends looks to be the same size. What is the avg length of the tapered ends?

+ Reply to Thread