+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sit or Kneel

Default Sit or Kneel

Do you guys sit or kneel when paddling your canoes? I just finished building a pirogue, and I'm wondering what would be the best option. I'd like to use a kayak paddle since the boat is not a canoe or kayak.

Currently, I'm using a stadium seat, but my hips hurt after a while. I may try kneeling next time I'm out.

I sit in my pirogue and use either a kayak paddle or a short paddle. My thighs tend to start hurting after awhile though, and find that kneeling is just as bad.

I'm afraid I'm well beyond the kneeling stage ... my knees simply would not take it. So, I sit on my duff and can cast a respectable distance in that position. As for the paddling ... likewise, don't do too bad a job considering.

I thought this was going to be about going to church.

If you sit one thing that will help is a chunk of closed cell foam about 4 inches thick stuck under the backs of your legs right up next to the seat. It tends to raise your knees just a little and makes for a more comfortable ride. Just about all kayak seats have a little tilt back so your butt is lower than the backs of your legs. Sure helps you go the distance.
    See you on the trail, Grunt

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

If you are going to be traveling long distances in windy conditions it pays to get a top grade light weight paddle, one that can be adjusted . The offset style paddle shows its thin edge to the wind while the other blade is digging into a power stroke. This will make a huge difference to your energy level on a long haul.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

What brand of paddle do you reccomend?

I'm with Dale. I can neal for maybe 5 minutes then I'm done. Its sitting for me.

jed

FYI on paddles go two http://www.paddling.net/

Try for one around 28 oz.
    See you on the trail, Grunt

+ Reply to Thread