+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Dryer

Default Fly Dryer

Hi Folks,
    I am a woodworker and posted an idea for a fly drying device on the LumberJocks site. A fellow named Dano, from the mid-west, suggested I ask you folks about it.

I am not a fisherman, but I listened to a fellow describe his fly dryer and thought there might be a better device. In you honest opinion, does anyone think there might be a market for such a device.

Thanks for your input

Lew
    lewiek@innernet.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, Like this one.

Cordless Fly Dryer

Deezel Guest

Aesthetics aside, I've picked up several electric BBQ turners for about $1 to $2 each at yard/rummage sales. I mounted one on a piece of wood and attached a styrofoam disk, the kind used for floral arrangements, on the thing that turns. Simple, functional and inexpensive albeit not great looking.

Deezel

Blog Entries

Unhappy

Lew I have to agree with sagitarius, yours is nice, but I wouldn't buy one. I just hang flies for a few min on a piece of cardboard for the heads to dry with head cement. with epoxy you need the motor to keep them from running. Order some fly fishing catalogs and see whats out there, might give you some Ideas.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
    Aesthetics aside, I've picked up several electric BBQ turners for about $1 to $2 each at yard/rummage sales. I mounted one on a piece of wood and attached a styrofoam disk, the kind used for floral arrangements, on the thing that turns. Simple, functional and inexpensive albeit not great looking.

Deezel
    That's what I use. Salvation Army had an old rotisserie and the foam disc, total cost $3.00. The big C-clamp was already in my garage.

Lew,

As a place to just hang flies while the heads dry, it's certainly functional and nice looking. Reminds me of a paper towel roll holder. I'm not sure how the foam would hold up over time. It would also take up space on the table.

I wouldn't buy one. I ran a stretched out spring over my table to hang flies from. Holds hundreds and it's not on the bench and in the way.

The other guys are correct if you are trying to make one for drying epoxy (when folks say 'fly dryer' this is usually what they are referring to), then it's needs to be motorized and move on a horizontal rather than a vertical axis.

The only way to know if it will sell is to test market it.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

7. Default

A few nights ago I tried to quickly dry some flys coated with Sallys by holding them next to a lighter. Poof! they did light up.

Guys who tie flies tend to be a bit inventive. Seems to go with the territory. They like to make stuff of their own design,,,or at least close. IMHO,,, no market. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Deezel View Post

Deezel

I with you on that one. I got mine at Lowes for nearly a song. Whittled down a piece of square stock birch and with a little painters tape attached it to the motor. To the other end of birch I fastened a round piece of floral foam. Works great.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Deezel Guest

Buddy,

"I wouldn't buy one. I ran a stretched out spring over my table to hang flies from. Holds hundreds and it's not on the bench and in the way."

Just don't hit the wire - twang! If you do you'll have fun finding all those flies.

Deezel

+ Reply to Thread