+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your opinion please

Default your opinion please

i did not write this ,This is a post from a different site and i would like to hear the FAOL community"s thought's on this.

Fly swaps.... the reality?

Although I do not know exactly how they work, it was alway my assumption that the swaps were sick, original, fish tested and fisher-person approved patterns. From reading the text from the past few swaps and talking to others about these, it seems that you can send in crappy tied standards that don't work and its accepted? I was kinda disappointed in reading/hearing that. I was actually looking forward to the day I felt skilled enough to do one. I felt that there was no way I was entering in swaps with guys like Cheech, Nightfish, Grizz, UFG, Marty, Wildnative, MFRW, Joni, The Doc, Mr. Fry, Improv, many I do not know, etc etc etc. My skills just aren't there yet. Not to down play anyone or take the fun out of tying, swaps or learning, it just seems its waisting skilled tiers time and probably keeping some serious players from getting involved. I mean where are the skilled old guru's that love to tie with fishy patterns, the ones that visit this site but don't do the swaps or participate but read it every day. For example, why don't guys like Buddy Knight, Dennis Brakke, Mike Andreas, L. Tullis, the entire Jedi Master crew that hangs at Fish Tech, etc etc etc do any swaps. Ya, ya... the time factor, burnt out or they're sick of them but I think that's not entirely the case.

I think that swaps should benefit everyone not just those that suck at tying.

My suggestion would be swaps that fit the skill level.
    - Greenhorn --> swap is for new tiers, generic flies OK.
    - Second String --> Graduated from GH status.
    - First string --> NO generic flies, must have credentials.
    - Masters --> The guru's found here... fishy flies, fishy dudes and gals.

any thoughts?
    Last edited by ben; 04-12-2008 at 12:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Ya know, I didn't recognize any of those names in the second list. I doubt anyone worries too much about the quality of the flies in the swap. I have received swap flies that were beautiful works of art that people obviously spent lots of time on. And I have received flies that wouldn't make the cover of a magazine. They were all worthy flies. My flies, after 30 years and that many thousand flies at least, are not works of art, but they catch fish and I am not afraid to show em to others who share my passion for fishing.

It has not been my experience that famous people tie flies any better than nonfamous people. They just have better marketing. Guess I am not a Jedi Master.

PS if you are the swapmeister, you can make up any guidelines you want. Don't expect to force that on anyone else's swap, tho.

DG

Ben,

Why would you assume swaps only help those who suck at tying? I've been involved in swaps for about three years and have slowed down my participation because of time constraints. Also, the four classes of tiers you recommend ....... how does a person know when they've moved from 1 to 2, or 2 to 3 etc? If I submitted my best fly to you ( or someone else) you might think I'm closely akin to a greenhorn but to others they may deem my fly as coming from the third class. Such classification reeks of arrogance. These are only my thoughts and not intended to flame. All of the swaps in which I've participated have helped me. Some of the flies were seemingly tied better than others. We all start somewhere, and the swaps strengthen the learning curves of those who are just beginning. If you are afraid you will get alot of bad flies then don't participate. My experience on this Board is the open invitation to all level of tiers to join the swap.

again i did not write that post I just wanted to see how others felt on this bb.
    thanks ben.

Blog Entries

Smile Fly Swaps Are For Everyone

Fly swaps are for those people who want to tie some flies and get some different ones in return. Period.

The only thing that sucks in that message is the writers attitude. I think he needs an attitude adjustment.

If fly swaps were only for those deemed--- the best of the best---, then were would not be very many swaps.

Ignore the jerk and enter any swap you feel comfortable tying in.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Other board? where,,, yer kidding, right? Stay home,,, better off.

utah on the fly.com

ben,
    Just a thought. It might have been better to ID the person who wrote the Post, write "Quote" at the beginning and "End Quote" That way you aren't liable for any flack.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

The original poster can solve his worries very simply. Only get involved in swaps with himself. Then the flies will always be up to his standards.

Talking

OK SO FOR THE RECORD I DO NOT AGREE WITH THAT POST ONE BIT. WHEN I READ THAT POST IT PISSED ME OFF. The reason i use FAOL is because that type of attitude is not present. I am here because i am obsessed with fly fishing ,and enjoy meeting and learning from others who share the same obsession. Not to draw lines in the sand. I do swaps because i love to sit at my vise and think about fishing, and i enjoy seeing the flies i get in return. I hate to think that i could be judged and excluded due to ones opinion. I HOPE I DIDNT OFFEND ANYONE I JUST WANTED OTHERS OPINION'S. thanks ben.
    Last edited by ben; 04-12-2008 at 03:30 AM.

+ Reply to Thread