+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly line for trout rod

Default Fly line for trout rod

Hi there,

I am rigging up a trout outfit, in pieces, but it is almost together. I have a 7' 6" St. Croix imperial rod in 4 weight, a #6 Tioga and now need a line. Does anyone have this rod? and what kind of line would match it nicely? Any particular color matter? I don't want to spend a fortune since I will only be using it 2-4 times a year but I would like something that casts trout flies in the 16-12 size range nicely. The reason I am asking is that my other rod is an 8 weight and I am used to chucking Atlantic salmon flies in the 10 to 2/0 size range. I use Cortland 444 in peach color and maxima leader for this and it works well.

Thanks in advance,

Dwight

I just bought a rio gold WF5F for my 5 wt so I can let you know on that when it arrives, but I have heard some wonderful things about it. They make it in a 4 wt so I think that might be good. If you really are only going to fish it a couple times a year, Scientific anglers mastery series works decently but they tend to have a few issues with cracking and mine has become a sink tip over time (Stinks when your floating line pulls your size 18 BWO under during a hatch).

As far as leaders go, I would suggest that you furl 2 or 3, they truly are "the cats meow" when fishing anything I have (I own a 2wt, 2 5 wts and cast some 3's). Other than that, try anything made by frogs hair, its actually a half X thicker than listed so its very nice to have for tippet. I have used the tapered packaged leaders in the past, but thats all in the past. Jack Hise was kind enough to send me his furling board specs and I have made 3 in a week using a cardboard tube and push pins (I live in a real small apartment so I cant have a board. the tubes can be broken down and stored easier and I lack power tools altogether) and twisting/furling by hand!!!!

Dwight; Don't run out and "buy another reel", because I said this, (although, "buying another reel and having an excuse,to do so, is ALWAYS lots of fun!), but I have a Tioga #6 and on a 7'x6"-4wt....that's a LOT of reel!?! It may feel sort of "out of balance" to you, based on the way you've BEEN fishing, with the salt gear.
    I'm merely suggesting, that you keep that in mind, when you finish your set up and get casting with it!
    "As to lines"............there are so many, on the market today and almost, all, are very good lines. Every fly fisher, myself included, will also suggest "their own, personal preference and likes" on any given brand. I have a 7' x 6" 4 wt, as well as the same size 6wt. For trouties, if I'm fishing small, clear, water with not a lot of room, (where rods of this style and size, really shine), I like the AirFlo "Ridgeline" in Double Taper for the occasional needed roll casting.
    If you'd like a good, "all around line", then maybe the Wulff Products-"Triangle Taper" in a 4wt, would work well for you.Due to it's unique taper, they shoot, like a weight forward line, but will also roll cast like a DT!?! I use one in a 3wt. a lot and they're really nice lines.
    But, if it's only a "2-3 times a year" (although, you still want to enjoy those times too, so don't go "too cheap"!?!), I would maybe also look at the 444s, Mastery-4 series and perhaps the Rio. If you can, speak to a fly shop owner, too, and see what's available, or what he may have already rodded up he'll let you cast and try out!?!
    Last edited by flybinder; 04-02-2008 at 03:40 PM.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The H&H lines are on sale for 30 beans 'tll tomorrow
    They're an olive color but otherwise the same as the 444 peach
    Many people swear by this line
    Hook & Hackle Special Offers
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I have the Imperial 9' 5wt and the Tioga 6. I have used a Wulff Triangle Taper 5wt for the past 4 seasons and have found it to be quite good in combination with that rod and reel. This year I got a Rio Selective Trout line to replace the Wulff. I haven't tried it out yet but I'm hoping it will be as good as the Wulff TT.

Regards

Any WF4 will do an an adequate job. Quit sweatin' the small stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Colston Newton View Post
    Any WF4 will do an an adequate job. Quit sweatin' the small stuff.
    What he said.

Avoid special purpose lines. (See the thread on Rio Grands). But any general purpose 4wt line will do fine. Cortland 444, SA Ultra, Rio Classic to name a few. Even that H&H line mentioned above would do just fine.

You mention that you'll only be fishing this rod a couple of times a year. Maybe you have a very specific body of water at a very specific time of year you'll be using this for. (I have rods like that.) In that case, maybe you will want to consider a line that would be exactly right for that situation. But in general, you're not going to be targeting huge fish or throwing 100' of line with a 4wt. No need to spend a lot of money or do a lot of research for a line for that rod.

Dwight

My buddy has the same rod as you. For small creek fishing he uses SA's Trout in a 4dt. And has no complaints. I use the same line in a wf on my St Croix Avid 8 1/2 4wt. However, any quality line would do the job. Whether you choose a dt or wf is your choice. As Colston has mentioned, "quit sweatin' the small stuff."

Good luck!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Thanks for the info, I think my cabin fever is at an all time high!!!!!!! It has been a long winter and based on the snow amounts and ice in the rivers, there won't be any fishing for me on April 15th when the season opens. I always over analyze this stuff, part of the fun of my fishing/fly tying hobby.

Dwight

DB,

I would not consider choosing a flyline "the small stuff' since it is the line that is presenting the fly. But I will agree that you can pick from any of the companies out there and get a good product. The hardest choice is what taper. If you will not be doing a lot of distance casting 40' or over I'd choose a dt line. On normal to short casting the presentation is the same with either wf or dt lines so the dt saves you money by being reversable. The Dt is also easier to roll cast and on water mend.
    I have to agree with FlyBinder that the Teton #6 might be too much reel for a 4wt rod the #4 would have been a better choice but you can lighten the initial drag on that reel it's in the directions that came with the reel.

Tom

+ Reply to Thread