+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What a Stream Thermometer Can Tell You

Before someone tells you to put that themometer where it will read 98.6, let me say this. Water coming over the dam at Mio, Mich can reach over 70 degrees in the summer. However, the entire AuSable system is a giant spring creek. The water below the dam, probably all the way past McKinley, is a turbulant mix of the hot stuff coming over the dam, and countless spring creeks and spring inlets. I would guess that a themometer would be of use there. This must be true since this stretch has big browns, rainbows, and some brooks all the way to the next dam and even some bass and walleye towards the gabions. I'll have to give it a try this summer and let everyone know how it works out.

Godspeed,

Bob

I started the recent thread on stream thermometers. It will help with timing when certain species spawn and knowing whether the fish are pre spawn post spawn. In many of the small shallow spring creeks that I fish the water is well mixed and the temps are fairly consistant. Even in these situations the temps are helpful in locating springs. Springs can be important in very cold water because the water temps in those stream will be somewhat higher than many of the streams with lots of snow melt like it is right now in Wisconsin. In the summer months location of springs can mean lower temps on hot days. Certain temps in the hot summer make me not chase the trout in streams at all and move to other species. The fish are cold blooded and temps effect their lives directly and their activity levels.

The real reason to have one is that there are another gizmo that you can say that you own as a fly fisherman. Another toy to play with when you are outside.

Rick

If taking a few random temperature readings on different places in a stream gives the angler more information (involvement/stewardship) in fly fishing, how can that be a bad thing? If he actually sees for himself that it really is cooler in the shade of a big sweeper he will better 'read the water' as to where trout might desire to hold. anytime knowledge can be gained, I endorse it, regardless of the quantity. Want to know more about your stream? Learn everything you can, including what the temp. is where, when and why.

Blog Entries

Water temps kept me from harassing trout for about 2 months last summer. It was just to hot to be safe for the fish. I even rested the 'gills for a while, because of the heat & presumed low DO.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread