+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cold Weather Wading with Breathables

I fish in some very cold Colorado winters. I have both kinds of waders, but find I stay warmer in the breathables.

What the others said about no cotton and layering underneath. Silk, synthetics and wool work OK.

I also layer the top with similar materials. At most a synthetic long john top or turtleneck, a wool sweater, a fleece jacket and a breathable windbreaker outerjacket.

And a warm hat and possible ear band.

The layering helps both in staying warm and by allowing you to take stuff off so you don't get too hot. Frozen perspiration is no fun.

Fingerlees wool gloves are my usual choice. I don't like the neoprene gloves. I've heard that wearing latex "medical" gloves under the wool actually helps, but have never tried it.

Under Armour next to the skin and then fleece then breathable waders.
    [url=http://www.underarmour.com/ProductDetail.cfm?site_id=1&dept_id=1&coll_id=4&pf _id=0525:c2771]http://www.underarmour.com/ProductDetail.cfm?site_id=1&dept_id=1&coll_id=4&pf _id=0525[/url:c2771]

Greg

Blog Entries

Dang, maybe we will see you there. I use them all the time. Wear polypro and fleece, and it works juuuuuust fine.

Dennis

Personally I don't know how anyone can where neoprene in any kind of weather. It makes you sweat bad. When you get out you'll freeze to death. Go with the breathables and layer with synthetics. Keep in mind that the water is always warmer than 32 degrees and you'll only be in it to you hips usually. So just dress for the weather.

I use neoprene socks under my neo booties and I wear a slightly oversized heavy (HEAVY) pair of sweat pants. They provide absorb what sweat there is pretty well. If you get real cold then a pair of long johns that wick away the sweat is a good addition.

My biggest problem are my feet and the extra layer of neoprene help. Don't forget to powder your feet so they don't get to sweaty.

jed

Quadfisher,
    I have insulated bootfoot light weights. I'd say they are the way to go but I hate neoprenes and wading shoes are not warm enough when water temps get down in the 30s.

I fished the Salmon River, NY in winter and was quite comfortable with only one pair of (inexpensive duofold) underwear with fleece over the top of that then a lightweight shell to keep the burdocks from sticking. No jeans or other pants of any kind...but I'd like to try Lady Fishers silk idea as a first layer. The jeans, however IMHO are a mistake.

I have lots of experience with Cold-Dry weather but not too much with Cold Damp. You can have both in Montana. I have spent 2 1/2 years in Antarctica including 6 months at the geographic south pole. But both climates share this: Its better to dress and be a little chilly than to dress to the point of being comfy. Once you start moving, you're going to start sweating if you're over dressed. Then its chill time when you stop to fish! Its tough to dry out and get warm again in the Cold-Damp fishing environment. Just ask any one who has fished Cape Cod in the fall. (thats the coldest I've ever been)

Hope you catch a bunch,
    Ol' Bill

+ Reply to Thread