+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Bread Machine fanatics here?

Smile Now You got my attention!!

Hi Joe,
    Yes, I do won a bread machine and it is one of my most cherished possessions. My fav winter meal is homemade soup, homemade bread and a big salad.I mostly use the wheat flour but I am very partial to the sourdough flour as well. When I am making the wheat bread, sometimes I add wheat germ to the dough. Sometimes, I like to add some sauteed onions and onion powder to the bread mix before it reaches the bake cycle. Another fav is to add rosemary to the dough and substitute olive oil for the butter/margarine ingredient.That variation is great with a pasta or sausage/green peppers meal.
    I found several cook books for bread machines a few years back at Borders and also at Barnes & Noble. At work now but I will go through the books later tonight and find some more for you.
    Gerri

Quote Originally Posted by gerri View Post
    Hi Joe,
    Yes, I do won a bread machine and it is one of my most cherished possessions. My fav winter meal is homemade soup, homemade bread and a big salad.I mostly use the wheat flour but I am very partial to the sourdough flour as well. When I am making the wheat bread, sometimes I add wheat germ to the dough. Sometimes, I like to add some sauteed onions and onion powder to the bread mix before it reaches the bake cycle. Another fav is to add rosemary to the dough and substitute olive oil for the butter/margarine ingredient.That variation is great with a pasta or sausage/green peppers meal.
    I found several cook books for bread machines a few years back at Borders and also at Barnes & Noble. At work now but I will go through the books later tonight and find some more for you.
    Gerri
    Welcome to the Bread Board. ha, ha! Yes, the great thing about homemade bread is that you can let your imagination run wild, as long as you adhere to a few simple rules. I'm just finishing up a loaf of Dakota, which is loaded with seeds, nuts and raisins. Delish!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Ohiofly
    First Welcome Aboard!! I beleive that you are the first to enter a receipe so soon after joining the best site on the web. I predict that you and Joe will become fast friends and open a very chic resturant called "Home Made Bread and SPAM". The residents of Cleveland will Flock to your doors (Clevelandites have always been good flockers) and you both will become rich!
    P.S. I'm still taking bids on the Ambassador Bridge too!

OK OK !! The Restaurant opens April 1st. and I'm sorry to say the Bridge it was sold to some Hope Guy
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder View Post
    Welcome aboard, Ohiofly!
    Too bad, though, that you're going to get associated as "knowing Joe V." so soon, but at LEAST it wasn't as awful as it COULD have been................. namely, joining, then being associated with Joe V. AND "The Ohio Tuber". (better known, in his own right, as "The Buckeye Bandit", "The Vise Varmint", "Terror Tuber" and of course "Puppy Cheeks").
    Regardless, it's nice you're here! Great site, with some great folks.
    FAOL is quite the "International Fly Fishers/Tier's Site", with members from America, plus many other countries..........such as; South Africa, Australia, Great Britain,Ohio, Canada and New Zealand!!(and, others, which I may have left out, to which I apologize to).
    First let me say thanks for the warm welcome flybinder & Jack. Ok I'll take the Joe association but this Ohio potatoe guy? I'll have to keep an eye on the "eyes"
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

Well, I was less than impressed with the heavy crust (heavier than I like) on the egg bread, in spite of using the "light" setting on my machine. Plus, the loaf is a vertical orientation as opposed to a traditional horizontal loaf. It makes sandwich slices that are oversized, and that was unacceptable by the whole family.

Sooooooooooo, I mixed up an egg bread recipe and used the "dough" setting on the machine just to mix and do the first proof. I then removed it from the machine pan, floured my granite countertop, and knocked down the dough and readied it for a greased traditional loaf pan. Now, my house is kept around 68 degrees, so I had to figure a way to raise the loaf without taking 4 hours. I covered the dough with plastic wrap and put it on the stove. I then turned on the light on the underside of the microwave, and it managed to raise the air temp around the loaf pan to 79.6 F, and the bread proofed in 30 minutes to this:

I preheated the oven to 450 F then popped in the loaf for 10 minutes, then turned it down to 350 F for 20 minutes. It came out magnificent and I really like the color. The side crust is light, so this will be the first of 6 loaves I need to make for Easter and get in the freezer. Oh, the shine is a butter wash right after the bread came out of the oven.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

OMG!!! Drooling like a fool, all over the keyboard!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty,

To make matters worse, I have been researching about baking bread, and I think I will now be buying a cooking stone for the oven. Mama don't know this has been going thru my head, but i'm sure that St Paul's Linda is already blaming him for my thoughts. Of course I'm wrong, but I really don't care. Sorry. Paul, if you're catching hell for my thoughts.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

MY, Linda, (as opposed to the lovely "Linda V."), walked into my tying room, here where my pooter also is, and "schumcked" me upside the head about 20 minutes ago, Joe!?!
    I hadn't left my tying room all morning, tying up flies for my granddaughter and I to try out this afternoon on the private lake across the street.
    While rubbing the sore spot on my head, I of course asked my pillow mate, "WHAT THE HELL, was THAT for? I haven't DONE anything, yet today!??"
    "No, I KNOW, that YOU haven't done anything, but that "FRIEND" you have, that foreigner from "Ohio",HAS BEEN!! I can tell, he's been baking bread and NOW my guess is, YOU'RE going to want ME to bake some also, and I'm really busy today!! So, "the hit", was for having friends, and foreign at that, that puts thoughts into your head!"
    "At least that "Thief friend" of yours, sends FUDGE and doesn't expect ME, to stop what I'm doing and make you a bunch of it!"
    Sorry, Joe. I didn't pursue the matter any further and also, married to a Linda I'm sure you know "why" I kept quiet.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Default Dough Setting

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic View Post
    Well, I was less than impressed with the heavy crust (heavier than I like) on the egg bread, in spite of using the "light" setting on my machine. Plus, the loaf is a vertical orientation as opposed to a traditional horizontal loaf. It makes sandwich slices that are oversized, and that was unacceptable by the whole family.

Sooooooooooo, I mixed up an egg bread recipe and used the "dough" setting on the machine just to mix and do the first proof.
    Joe
    I have an old Black and Decker bread-maker and have only used the dough setting to make bread for some time now.

My daughter is taking nutrition at university now and has been encouraging us to east lower glycemic index foods. My challenge was to make an acceptable 100% whole wheat bread. Here's what I have come up with:

3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 1/2 cups buttermilk (can use skim but it rises better with butter milk)
    1 tbsp molasses
    3 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp yeast
    1/3 cup ground flax (or bran, or wheat germ, whichever you prefer)

After the first rise, I put it in the oven with the oven light on, for the second rise, With the door closed I get an ambient temp of about 80 - 85 F. Once risen, I cook it as per Joe's instructions. If you want a crustier product, brush with an egg wash before baking.

Judging from my family's reaction,this bread is not a chore to eat ....TIM

Tim,

The first wheat bread I made was a bit too heavy for our liking, so I exchanged 1 cup of unbleached white bread flour for 1 cup of the wheat. I imagine a good recipe can be had using 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white flour for a lighter bread.

I love the flavor with molasses and honey. Yummmmmmm!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread