+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Made reels

Default US Made reels

I am pretty new to fly fishing, but was curious, who makes affordable reels in the US? (under $200)
    Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by scotte303; 03-16-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Scott,
    Teton reels are made in California. I have 2 Tetons and 2 Tiogas, which is their lower priced reel. I have had great service from all of them.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Scott:
    Hello. Ross Cimarron and Cimarron CLA, Teton and Lamsom/ Waterworks Radius are excellent reels, US made and are under $200. If you look at the MRFC website they the Radius for under $100.00.

Another vote for Tiogas. Great, affordable reels. I also have some older Lamsons which I really like, as well.

Regards,
    Scott

I have a Ross Cimmaron 2 which I really like,it was a gift so I dont know the cost.Have had Lamson and had some issues with it and traded it off,nothing major it just was not a good match for my rig.

I have the Tiogas and a Lamson Radius in my reel bag and never had any problems with any of them. The Tiogas,for their price, are built extrememly well and have a great drag system, that's never failed me.Also, with the Tiogas, their large and standard arbors, are interchangeable with the same reel frame.
    I use a Tioga for Steeleheading and it's proven to be a very reliable reel, for the 4 years it's been in use.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Scott -

I have an Orvis BBS which I really like for my 3 wt. Something under a hundred bucks. I also have an Orvis Mid Arbor on my 5 wt. It goes just at a hundred twenty.

Don't know how those reels would be for big fish, but they are well made, look good, and do a fine job of holding the line*.

John

* I hardly ever put a fish on the reel.
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Apachetrout View Post
    Scott:
    Hello. Ross Cimarron and Cimarron CLA, Teton and Lamsom/ Waterworks Radius are excellent reels, US made and are under $200. If you look at the MRFC website they the Radius for under $100.00.
    The Madison River Fishing Company has only the Radius 3.5 and 4 left at this point. I own two of the Radius reels and like them. I have a Radius 2 and a 3 and look forward to putting the 3 through some steelhead soon.

Rick

J. Ryall reels are also made in the U.S. I beleive Teton and Ryall were partners utill they each open their own shops. These reels are well made and have similar drags to the teton reels. They are high quality and unique. Give them a look for a few $ more than a Tioga.
    http://www.jryall.com/

Good Luck,

Jet

Quote Originally Posted by scotte303 View Post
    I am pretty new to fly fishing, but was curious, who makes affordable reels in the US? (under $200)
    Thanks,
    Scott

What line wt? Some of the Galvan Standards are $200 or less. They are made in Sonora, CA.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread