+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Welded Fly Line Loops

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    So do we know what attachment was used?
    It shouldn't matter Ducks. It's not a relevant test for a homemade or factory welded or otherwise loop......

I kinda got to go with RS1 on this. It isn't a good test. I had a 34" Hybrid at 18 to 19 lbs on a 6lb tipped looped to a homemade loop in my fly line, ON a glass rod. I played the fish to get it to the surface. The only way this fish was coming out of the water was with a NET. If I had tried to lift that weight with the rod, the tip would be meeting the cork.

Do any of you lift a fish out of the water by holding your line?

That is what this test is saying....sorry but that is not the fly fishing style I learned...back when I was little, bait casting maybe.

I have to agree with RS1 on this. This was only a test to break the conneciton and that is all it proved. You have to figure in the rod flex and tippet strength. Your tippet should break long before anything else goes. An 8.5' or 9' rod flex takes up a lot of the pull and fight of a fish and that takes a lot of the dead pull off the connection.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Thank you for the test results. While it does not mimic real fishing conditions, it was not meant to. The results are what they are. I wondered if the heating of the line to meld it together caused weakening - it looks like it does. I have made strong loops by making whipped loops. Recently, I tried making a loop by doubling over the line and putting 2 nail knots of braided line over the doubled line. It is simple, very strong, no heating, no glue. I am liking it. Almost anything will work - given the tippet strength as others point out - even a nail-knot which is a relatively weak connection compared to the loops mentioned.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    . I had a 34" Hybrid at 18 to 19 lbs on a 6lb tipped looped to a homemade loop in my fly line, ON a glass rod.
    what kind of loop?? the welded kind that is being examined?? the slip on braided loop?? the fold over and whip stitch loop?? a grays loop??

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    what kind of loop?? the welded kind that is being examined?? the slip on braided loop?? the fold over and whip stitch loop?? a grays loop??
    I just fold the line over and wrap it like a rod. Can make my loops very small and they slide beautifully through the tip-top

Thumbs up

I'm also a fan of the "FG Wrapped Loop". When she posted about it over a year ago, I tested it on a fly line I had laying around, and in 6 attempts (loop to loop with a leader butt), the loop broke in mid loop, and not at the wrapped connecting point. I was so impressed, I re-did all my 6wt and under lines that didn't have factory loops with this method. This loop is so strong, any tippet I'll likely use with a 6wt will break long before the loop will fail. Heck, most hooks used for trout will fail before the loop does as well. FG knows her stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Thank you for the test results. While it does not mimic real fishing conditions, it was not meant to.
    Thank you Shoe for understanding what this test was about.
    The tester was not trying in any way to show what the results would be under fishing conditions.
    It was a static test.
    Everyone should want their fly line to leader connection to test out as strong as the fly line its self. You want your weakest link to be your class tippet so you do not loose the entire leader.
    The tester just proved that the DIY welded loops were not as strong as the fly line.
    You have to take it from there and decide if you want to chance losing the entire leader to a loop which is NOT as strong as the fly line.
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread