+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fly fishing for walleye

Gandolf,

That is a very well written and informative reply on walleye fishing. That should help many here. Thank you for sharing....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Gandolf,

Is the local lake you are talking about, Lake Meridith? I live close to Lake Lugart in OK, supose to be a great Walleye lake.
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

Hi Crappiecat,

Yep, Lake Meridith. The lake is way low now, and it might be possible to fly fish there now. The way it was the banks were really steep and you didn't hardly have room for a back cast. Tough to fish from the bank. I haven't fished there in some time, and now mostly bluegill fish at a local pond, when I can.

I hope to do some bluegill, crappie, and white bass fishing out there this summer though. My walleye fishing used to be while white bass fishing. The white bass would usually quit about dark, and my fishing partner and I would stay there an hour or so, and try to run into a walleye. We caught a few, but never really killed them. The best we probably ever did was 5 or 6 one evening, but maybe 1 was more typical.

I should have added this to the walleye fishing thoughts.

Years ago, back in about 1970, I used to spin fish a lot, as I could get time to go. I was in college at the time, and that summer worked for a guy that was an extremely good walleye fisherman, and he fished exclusively with a fly rod. He took me with him one time, and I learned the method he used to catch walleye with his fly rod.

He tied jigs, and used them on his fly rod. The jigs that he used had about 2 or 3 times as much marabou on them as you could buy at a sporting goods shop. The main thing was to use marabou that was as long as possible. He told me to use yellow in the spring, and after the spawn was over to use white. (I have since found that chartreuse was also good, as is the shad pattern I tie.)

He used to sell the jigs, and the best fishermen from our county would buy them. He sold them for 50 cents or a dollar each, which was pretty darn pricey back in 1970 for a jig. He bought marabou from Herters back then, and bought it in I think 1 lbs bags. He showed me how he tied them, and said that the first thing to do with the bag of marabou is sort through it and throw 75 to 90 % of it away. He only kept the best and longest marabou. If you used the average stuff, the jig was too short.

He used only the fluff, that was trimmed off the side of the stem. He NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER tied in an entire feather that had a stem in it, only the trimmed off fluff. (I think that he would use a full blood marabou feather that did not have ANY stem in it, but would trim away any part of the feather that was stiff and not totally fluffy and flexible.) He wanted the maximum movement possible for the tail on the jig, IE: NO STEMS.

Tie in the longest plumage possible near the back of the hook, as this made for a longer jig. Size and length, as well as a lot of bulk to the jig, were critical in his veiw. (I remember guys coming in to buy the jigs from him, and saying things like "they sure work a lot better than any other jig you can buy." Only pretty good fishermen were willing to give that much for a jig.)

He took me fishing with him one time, and his good friend, who also worked for him went with him too. (They were regular fishing partners.)

We went out and got to the lake well before dark. We waded out into the lake until about waist deep on me. (I was about 5'9" or so back then.) We waded out into the inlet end of the lake, but it was probably a mile from the actual inlet. The bottom was a hard clay bottom, and this was probably late July, but it could have been earlier in the year, as it has been so long that I don't remember well. The lake was relatively shallow, so we waded out probably a hundred yards or so. We were on a flat, and you could see carp swimming around some. I think this was, again, well into the summer, because I waded without waders, and did not get cold until we had fished at least 3 hours or so. Both of the older fellows wore waders.

This part of the lake was in a wildlife sanctuary area so you could not have a boat in it, nor could you drive in, you had to walk, and if I remember that may have been somewhat important, but I don't remember for sure.

At any rate his technique was simple, he just used his fly rod to cast the jig hour after hour. We didn't even move around, we just stayed in one spot the whole time. It wasn't a great evening, we all caught white bass, but not much in the way of walleye. He made me swear never to take anyone there, and I agreed to the deal.

The key was fishing the mud flats in about that depth of water from a little before dark until you wanted to quit, and I think he always fished for at least 3 hours, and often much more.

I believe steamers would work, but he tied the jigs. I didn't know enough to ask if he ever tried a streamer.

(He was a died in the wool trout fisherman, and lived to steam fish, but there wasn't any stream fishing for trout in Kansas, so the vast majority of his fishing was for walleye in the lakes of western Kansas. As always you caught a lot more white bass than walleye, but he did catch walleye. He was fairly well known as a walleye fisherman, and we ate walleye at his house, so I know he caught plenty of them, as his friend advised me.)

Whether a jig was needed to sink the big marabou jigs he tied, or he never thought about tying a marabou streamer, I do not know. Back then bead heads weren't around.

I believe his technique would work as well today as it did back then.

Regards,

Gandolf

I catch them often using a craw fly fished on the bottom in rivers. If a body of water has craws fish craw flies everything eats craws.
    day5flies.com warmwater DVD is now available!

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Gandolf, thanks for the story. I always enjoy going for a ride down memory lane, even when it's not my memories.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Default Wire or not

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    Walleyes don't have as many teeth as a pike, and they are pretty far apart. Your line just slips between them. I have never had a walleye bite through my line, yet.
    I recall reading this tidbit from an earlier thread in FAOL: as I understand it, walleye teeth are like nails - rounded, all the way up to the pointed tip, while the sides of pike teeth have sharp edges from the base to the tip.

Whatever the anatomical realities, if pike are in the area, I don't fish without a steel or a kevlar tippet. Tried 30# flourocarbon once but had two bite-offs in one morning, so that experiment was canned. Can't recall a walleye bite-off, though. ..TIM.

+ Reply to Thread