+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: looking for opinions Smallmouth/Pike setup

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Agree with Chucker as it's all about the size of the fish in your area. Big pike like big flies and that's Nine weight or a very stiff 8 weight rod. Smaller pike will hit bigger flies as their eyes are bigger than their stomachs but bigger Pike will ignore a small fly at times. Pike to Ten lbs or so and your 7 or 8 weight will do but for the bigger fellows it pays to have something stiffer to throw flies and for hook sets.

For Smallmouths the 5 to 7 range is just fine depending on the size of the fish and the flies you choose to throw. Bigger, bushier flies are wind resistant and it helps to edge closer to that 7 weight rod. Most medium sized flies work for smallmouth and the 6 wt is fine for these.

I hunt musky and do pick up some pike from time to time.
    I fish a 10 wt with a SA Striper line on , your 8 wt is going to
    be put to it limits with a big girl.
    It will be great for smallys as you will have the power for poppers and heavy
    bunny leaches and clausers.

Wet

I think a 6 & 8 are a good choice. I'm from the old school and fish the rod that will throw the size flys I am fishing. Not the size of fish I expect to catch. So most of the time I fish a 6 for smallmouth and the 8 when throwing larger flys or if there is allot of wind.

Although some on this board, swear they can chuck a 1/0 deer hair bug on a 3wt.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I fish for both pike a smallmouth a lot and I've found the best set up to be 6 wt for the smallies and a 9 wt for the pike. I have an 8 wt but never use it for pike because the flies are so large that an 8 wt is under gunned. Most pike flies run in the 6 - 8" long category and may be constucted w/ things like rabbit fur and or deer hair. You can't make a pike fly too large in my opinion they have huge mouths and will regularly eat anything up to 1/3 their length. Are you going to be fishing from a boat? If so, get a slow sink rate full sinking lines if you are fishing from shore get a sink tip.

I'll be boat fishing almost exclusively, I'm not going to be targeting Pike, just most of the waters I'll be fishing have some big Pike and chances are I'll end up with a few. My Blank will be here tomorrow, a TFO TiCr 8 weight, Haven't decided on what I'm going to build for the 6 weight, I'm sure not far down the road I'm going to have way to many rods to choose from.

Because I got a great deal on them I've ordered a pair of Rio Clouser lines in 6 and 8 weight, and I'm shopping for some sinking line now. Reels are going to be cheap and simple Okuma SLVs. Hopefully the Rio Clouser lines will work out, I was looking into some SA lines but they would have cost me substantially more.

Thanks everyone.

RDL I use both the 6 and the 8 like you are thinking of doing but I do not use one for this species and one for that. I will use the 8 if Im casting a bigger fly or casting in the wind. Ill use the 6 for smaller flies and less wind.
    day5flies.com warmwater DVD is now available!

Default Smallmouth/pike

Up here, (Southern Canada) we are on the edge of smallmouth bass range but in the heart of pike country. I love fishing for both and most of our waters hold both. I think Fly-Chucker nailed it: gear up to the type of flies you want to throw. My preference is a 9', 9wt, as I like to throw poppers or larger minnow immitations.....TIM

+ Reply to Thread