+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pet peeve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan View Post

Those ingested corn kernels of yours reminds me of a blog

Steve
    ...Yeah...an "intestinal" blog!
    I STILL can't understand the purpose of a blaaa...oops, blog, when we HAVE a forum! Yeah, that's right, I am NOT a "technological whiz kid".
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default Or would it be a....

....'blogage'? It must have been great back in Neanderthal time (you know, Troglodytes) when all a guy needed was one word repeated twice to get everything he needed.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Talking

Steve,

Don't you mean "Yadah, Yadah, Yadah"

Jim
    There are three ways to complete a project. The right way, the wrong way or the Boss' way. You'd best learn the Boss' way.

Steve,
    I think "Blogs" are out of control;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog
    It's Justin's Fault! Quote;The modern blog evolved from the online diary, where people would keep a running account of their personal lives. Most such writers called themselves diarists, journalists, or journalers. A few called themselves "escribitionists". The Open Pages webring included members of the online-journal community. Justin Hall, who began eleven years of personal blogging in 1994 while a student at Swarthmore College, is generally recognized as one of the earliest bloggers,[5] as is Jerry Pournelle." End Quote.
    Doug
    Last edited by DShock; 02-24-2008 at 04:09 AM.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Blog Entries

Talking

"This all being said, I now unequivocally state that as of 1:16 pm (Pacific) on the 22nd day of September (the autumnanal equinox) in the year 2007 AD (or CE, whatever your preference), there were approximately 995,112 words in the English Language, plus or minus a handful. " (http://www.languagemonitor.com/wst_page7.html)

"Richard Lederer, a lion among linguistics, tells us that English is the most cheerfully democratic language in the history of mankind. It has 616,500 entries in the Oxford English Dictionary. This compares with a vocabulary of about 185,000 words for German, 130,000 for Russian, and 100,000 for French. Yet the average English speaker possesses a vocabulary of 10,000 to 20,000 words, Lederer observes, but actually uses only a fraction of that, the rest being recognition or recall vocabulary." (http://oncampus.richmond.edu/academi...lism/chal.html)

So, Steve, if we assume you have 20 thousand words in your vocabulary, out of the million or so (rounded for ease of math after 11 pm) in the language, you are only using 1/50th (or 2%) of the language. If you put the word "blog" into the other 98% of the language that most of us don't use, alongside such obviously common terms as "obsequious" and "perspicacious", then you don't have to worry about it any more. Easy, no?

Oh, and according to Merriam-Webster online,

blog
    Pronunciation:
    \ˈblȯg, ˈbl?g\
    Function:
    noun
    Etymology:
    short for Weblog
    Date:
    : a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer
    ? blog?ger noun
    ? blog?ging noun

PS I don't think "autumnanal" is a real word

Quote Originally Posted by DShock View Post
    Steve,
    I think "Blogs" are out of control;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog
    It's Justin's Fault! Quote;The modern blog evolved from the online diary, where people would keep a running account of their personal lives. Most such writers called themselves diarists, journalists, or journalers. A few called themselves "escribitionists". The Open Pages webring included members of the online-journal community. Justin Hall, who began eleven years of personal blogging in 1994 while a student at Swarthmore College, is generally recognized as one of the earliest bloggers,[5] as is Jerry Pournelle." End Quote.
    Doug
    Doug,

Yours has been the most enlightening and helpful information.
    I certainty was not expecting to gain anything useful from my post
    but may have. I would not want to use this blog thing as a personnel account of my life. Boring for one thing!!
    I do have some rethinking to do, hopefully not much....

I appreciate you Doug!

Take care....

Steve

PS, DG thanks too!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

+ Reply to Thread