+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Off Topic: Apple Computers

Default Off Topic: Apple Computers

Hey Guys,

Well.. Its getting to be that time, and I need to start looking for a new computer. I'm back in school to become a teacher, and I will be teaching this time next year. I'm leaning toward getting a Macbook, as I will need a laptop. Anybody have any experience with Apples? My chief concern is that I will have problems integrating with pc software in the school system. Not trying to get into a pc vs. mac war. I have already seen that on computer message boards. I have always gotten good, sound info from you guys, so let me hear what you've got..

Scott
    "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."

roll:

Absolutely nothing against Apple but when I look at the software packages; not to mention freeware I use on a daily basis; I'd be in trouble with a Mac. We have both at home and I NEVER use the Mac. I can't argue for or against the merits of the ease of operation of a Mac. For me it's all about software choices. As the owner of a Sony Betamax I know all about choices!

Even many of the Apple versions of popular PC programs are two revs behind the PC versions. You can run dual OS on a Mac but that's like having two computers and constantly flipping between the two. It works but it's awkward and far from seamless. Then there is the accessory issue as in; where do you have to go to buy Apple stuff.

SO I guess what I'm saying is; choose carefully after checking all of the software you presently use and plan to use in the future.

Good luck!

What I considered the best advice I received was; "Get the same types of computors and software that your coworkers have." There's always help availble if you run into problems,

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    roll:

Absolutely nothing against Apple but when I look at the software packages; not to mention freeware I use on a daily basis; I'd be in trouble with a Mac. We have both at home and I NEVER use the Mac. I can't argue for or against the merits of the ease of operation of a Mac. For me it's all about software choices. As the owner of a Sony Betamax I know all about choices!

Even many of the Apple versions of popular PC programs are two revs behind the PC versions. You can run dual OS on a Mac but that's like having two computers and constantly flipping between the two. It works but it's awkward and far from seamless. Then there is the accessory issue as in; where do you have to go to buy Apple stuff.

SO I guess what I'm saying is; choose carefully after checking all of the software you presently use and plan to use in the future.

Good luck!
    Bamboozle,

Please let me know how much I can buy you unused Mac for. I certainly don't want you to be unhappy with such a highly refined tool. I'd also like to know what software you are having issues with running an a MAC. It must be highly specialized to have compatibility issues.

I have been on an I-Mac G5 for over three years, and I'm in my second year with my MacBook with the Intel 1.83 ghz Core 2 Duo Processor. I recently upgraded to MAC OS X Leopard, and can't believe how seamless that was. Even a bait fisheman could do it. I run a full Microsoft Suite under OS X that is compatible with any PC based MS Suite, and most importantly, I HAVE NOT HAD A VIRUS SINCE I WENT TO MAC. ZERO, NADA, NIC, NYET, NONE! The Safari Browser is a little fickle, but now that I'm running Firefox there are no problems surfing the Internet or doing any financial transactions with my bank, e-bay or Pay-Pal. I also run my business off of my laptop.

We have four Macs in the house with a full network, and they run flawlessly. Each can interact with the other and share files and printers. We do a lot with Photoshop, and teh MACs excell in that regard. I also run AutoCAD 2000 on the PC Core (along with MS Publisher and a few other non-MAC software packages), and flipping between operating systems is done via a single keystroke.

Yes, there are differences in how you talk to a MAC vs a PC, but it was not a problem crossing over. I'm also running my Vonage phone thru the G5.

We have a couple of PCs that are used for specialized applications in my son's business, but that's more to keep them separated from my business and the network.

Take a look at the software that comes with a MAC, vs a PC with just an operating system on it. Oh, and does anyone like the compatability issues with MS Vista? If you upgrade a MS OS, you might as well throw all your old software away and buy new stuff. They just can't seem to make old stuff work on a new OS, and they always send out the new OS before it's thoroughly debugged. I don't miss that at all.

Can anyone guess which machines I like?

Lastly, I must admit that my son is a techno-geek and an Apple developer, so I have 24/7 service in-house, as well as the latest upgrades.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I agree Joe, My mac runs a full windows package as well as all the apple programs and I have never had any problems. I use a Mac and 3 PC's at work and I have to say the Mac is fantastic, it always works and the speed is unbelievable. I have never had to get the I.T. guy to do anything to the Mac but he is forever having to fix up problems with the P.C.s
    I would be very carefull before buying a Vista PC, you will have all sorts of compatability problems with your programs and may have to buy all new ones!
    However if you use the laptop for playing games then go for the PC, there are many many more games available for P.C. than there are for Macs.
    Just my 2c worth but I hope it helps!
    Did I mention I tunes, I pics, I movies, I life etc all comes with a Mac for free.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Hey Guys.. Thanks for the replies. Hey Joe, Can you expound a little bit on the problems you have with safari, and how you went around it. That has been one of my main concerns about buying a mac. I know you mentioned firefox, but could you expand a little more about it? Thanks!

Scott
    "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."

I too, run the Mac G5, OS X Leopard. It's great! Mac is the only computer I've ever used that, if it should require upgrading, I feel comfortable doing it myself. I'm not intimidated by the machine or process. (Ha! Now watch as it crashes!! Even at that, I can reinstall a new system!)
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Scott -

First of all, kudos to you for pursuing the profession of teaching. I suspect that the profession you are leaving will miss you, and I am sure that the folks you find in your classrooms will appreciate you.

Second, the only recent experience I have with Apples are Gala, Red Delicious, Granny Smith, Pink Ladies, Fuji, etc. etc. etc.

Finally, my wife and I went through the same computer search when she recently started the Registered Nursing program at our local Tech College. While all the things that Joe had to say are certainly valid, and good reasons to think about Apple, our decision came down to the compatability of our home computer with the computers she would use at school. The computers at the college and the programs they ran, pretty much dictated a PC and we were fortunate to find a local computer builder who could install XP ( that was before Microsoft decided to extend its lifetime ) and avoid the Vista thing.

Anyway, something to think about as you look at the options.

John
    The fish are always right.

Wink

Between my 4 young adult offspring ( my kids who have grown up) and my wife and myself, we are half mac and half pc users. I use a pc as this is what I have at work. I would say each has its advantages. My understanding was that the features of the mac made it the choice for educational settings, but as I have seen from my mac users at home, it is quite compatible for most applications. I would agree with LouT, go with what your co-workers have. It works for them and you always have help if you need it.

Dr Bob

I work as an IT guy in a company that has both macs and PC's. The only thing that would worry me if i was to buy a mac, and i was a teacher, is that the software that all the other teachers use for keeping track of grades is available only on PC.

Most all software that comes on a PC also comes on a mac now days, with the exception of highly specialized software, and games.

+ Reply to Thread