+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing for walleye

Default Fly fishing for walleye

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but I'll pose it anyways. I have an interest in targeting walleye with a fly rod. Other than fly selection, which I'm assuming would consist of leech and baitfish imitations, I have no idea where to begin. I'm thinking of targeting rivers, as I think this would be easier than lakes, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Does anybody here fish for them, or get them while targeting other species enough to know something about them? Can anybody get me started?

I've caught a few of them accidently. It's always been when I've be smallie fishing. Usually overcast conditions, swinging clousers.

Kevin

I've been targeting them for about 7 or so years when I take my vacation trip to a lodge in Northern Ontario. I've caught one. The main problem is the time of the year when I go up, mid-July, and they're mainly in 20-25 feet of water, a bit deep for fly fishing. I'll probably give it another shot this year. We either anchor up or drift at night. Figure with my depth charge sinking line. I should be able to get a fly down close enough to attract attention.
    You're not going to find many books on the topic. Try picking up a book on walleye fishing. I'm not sure if it's still in publication, but the In-Fisherman has a great book on the topic, covers both lakes and rivers, and you can just adapt the tactics to fly fishing.
    If any of the rivers in your area, have a spawning population, then the spring during the spawning run would be your best shot at catching one. Overcast day or at night would be the best time. They'll be concentrated and in shallow. For rivers, I'd forget the leech patterns, and go with the bait fish patterns or streamers. I caught my only one on an all white streamer fished slow along the bottom. Big off beat wooly buggers, 5 or 6 inches long. You can probably find these three on line. White River Demon, Chili Pepper and Catskill Killer. A couple of streamers, a Bucktail Deceiver and the Semper Fleye. You might even want to try some pencil poppers or gurglers at night.
    Another shot you might have at them would be if your rivers or lakes have a hex hatch. That will bring any fish in the river up to the surface. You could try large dries, and smaller streamers sub surface.
    Good luck with them.

Philly, I see that you're relatively near to me. The bodies of water I was thinking of were the Delaware and Schuyllkill rivers. Any thoughts.

Jeff
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Quote Originally Posted by fly-chucker View Post
    I've caught a few of them accidently. It's always been when I've be smallie fishing. Usually overcast conditions, swinging clousers.

Kevin
    That seems to be my experience as well. Most of the eyes I have caught have been on Clousers, Micky Finns and Foxee Red Clouers.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Thanks for starting this ff, I too have been wondering about Walleye. We have alot in our lakes around here, but I have not been able to find any flyfishing info on them.

I look forward to the responses you get.
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

I've been wondering about Walleye for quite some time as well. I live just a few minutes away from a lake they're pretty heavy in. Don't they have big nasty sharp teeth? Do you need a wire leader to fish for these babies or can we just use our regular tippet?
    Leave No Trace

I have caught a few, but, I was fishing for trout when I caught them. Most were caught at the base of a dam where the fast water was being released into the river and I was using a clouser or white flashy woolly bugger to match the shad that came through the dam. I do remember the walleye were a lot deeper than the trout I was catching. I would say they were very close to the bottom in the fast water release. I would cast the fly across the strong release and mend like crazy and the current would take the fly down pretty deep and then the eddy current would start bringing the fly back towards the dam. I guess it would be the under current. I can usually catch a lot of trout this way and a walleye every once in awhile. I know this is not much help, but, that is where and how I caught mine.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default No Wire Leader Needed

Wild One,
    I've caught a pretty fair number of walleyes on line as light as 4 lb. test and haven't really had a problem with bite offs even though they do have a nice mouthful of sharp teeth.
    I've caught the majority of mine near the bottom in fairly deep water but there are exceptions. Last summer I saw a fish making some splashes on the surface every now and again very close to some riprap at the mouth of a local marina. When a spin fisherman cast over there he caught a walleye.
    Around here spring and especially fall seem to be the best time for shore anglers, fly fishermen included, to catch walleye as that is when they are in closest to shore.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the info.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

+ Reply to Thread