+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a Guide Fly?

Blog Entries

Now that I only tie for myself, the wife and son,and a few close friends, I have sorted out my flys and it took about 150 + compartments to sort them, you can bet that I am going to reduce that down to double digits and in the low end.

I used to only fish my mess ups, the flys I would not sell or give away and you guessed it I caught fish!

so now it is - tie only what is useful where I am fishing and forget the fancy fisherman catching stuff..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

Another quality of guide flies is usually that they are tied like tanks with durable materials. So that they can take many beatings by trout teeth without coming apart, Therefore enhancing fly in water time and decreasing fly changing time.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs View Post
    Hi HCR,

Funny that you should ask, but David Klausmeyer has a book entitled "Guide Flies" which was published in 2003. Some of the flies listed in the book may be actual guide flies but some of the flies look too complex or ornate to actually qualify as the real thing. For example, no guide worth his or her salt is going to turn clients loose with a handful of flies tied with actual jungle c**k nails such as found on the Gray Ghost and Supervisor (pages 74-74). 8T
    Ummm.... shhhhhhhhh Dirty Little Secret time here... try using a bit of yellow Swiss straw instead of and actual nail feathers... shhhhh.... Don't tell anyone...

<Lowering brim of hat. Raising lapel of trench coat. Slipping away into the mists and fog.>

Ed

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Red face Sorry Ed!

Ed, you know me. If I know anything at all, I'll blab. Fortunately for guides, the fly fishing industry and my fishing buddies, I don't know much!

DG, $1.35 for Zebra midgets seems a little steep. On the bright side, he could have charged you full Orvis shop prices which would have put them around $1.85.

Mato, I find my tying moving in very much the same direction though I honestly don't value my complex flies any more than the simple ones. That's why I tie my own; they're all expendable.

8T

Most of flies flies are fairly simple and quick to tie. I do have a few others that are a little more complicated to tie. The Goldie Jr. (FOTW) took me longer to tie at first than it does now.

Practice makes me quicker, probably not any better.
    If my lively hood depended upon my flies and clients catching a fish or more, then the time spent on a fly would not be the highest concern.

That is my $.05.

Rick

To sort of answer your first question, here's a nice tutorial for the Platte River Special:
    http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...fm?parentID=12

Regards,
    Scott

There was a book published about tying simple versions of popular flies. I thought that it went by a different name, but the above mentioned book may be it.. anyone have any thoughts. Not trying to hijack the thread.
    "Our real purpose is to fit ourselves to be of maximum service to God and the people about us."

I's "bullcrap" to make you think they have something special.....especially if they are SELLING it.

Default link to the platte river special

An excellent toutorial for the 'platte river special' and it's close cousin the 'platte river spider ' can be found at Charlie's Flybox...

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/detail.cfm

Guide Flies;http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
    Scroll Down To Kory Kober, Read Full Article.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread