+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Indicator Placement

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Ya, that's the same guy. We were all working as guides for Dan Bailey's back then. He was a fine fly fisher and real nice person too.
    Was a fine fly fisher? He isn't anymore cause he condones split shot and indicators?

Since you suggested everyone's thoughts are appreciated, I would suggest the best place for an indicator is left in the sporting goods store. I've tried it a couple of times, and would prefer to cast all day without one and catch nothing (not been a problem yet) than use an indicator while fly fishing. I do use nymphs, but no indicator. Works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cea View Post
    Since you suggested everyone's thoughts are appreciated, I would suggest the best place for an indicator is left in the sporting goods store. I've tried it a couple of times, and would prefer to cast all day without one and catch nothing (not been a problem yet) than use an indicator while fly fishing. I do use nymphs, but no indicator. Works just fine.
    CEA:

Your input is appreciated. We all have different likes/dislikes and take different approaches to our fishing.

From where I stand, no one position on this subject is right/correct for all.

The only right technique I believe, is the technique that each of us enjoy and feel most comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by cea View Post
    I think the biggest thing with indicator "bobber" fishing is learning how to use it correctly. Most people who start using indicators and split shot give up because they can't/don't understand how to fish it properly and never catch anything. It then becomes embarrassing and they give it up altogether. Or they start to nymph without indicators. Either way it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things if you fish with a '"bobber" or not. It's not going end all wars, prevent psoriasis, grow hair etc. You don't think it's fly fishing, that's your opinion and opinions are like--------. Everybody's got one. Fish the way you want, it's no one else's business.

Mine is:

How deep the fish hit the fly.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the POST originated with a question on 1.5 or 2 on an indicator.
    Well, the Poster got a couple of answers to the question, and a bunch of "don't use then, don't need them" and even a couple of "That is not true ff, here's how it is suppose to be done".
    It reads to me like it should have been two separate post, and only answer this one with something relating to it.

Too bad, mostly snide innuendo about others ethics and intentions. Most will agree that some weight and an indicator one and a half times the water depth is the place to start. The weight and indicator must be adjusted for each cast and condition until the fly, lure, bait, bumps along just over bottom at the same speed as the current. This can still require a knowledge of mending, the more, the better the success.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    Too bad, mostly snide innuendo about others ethics and intentions. Most will agree that some weight and an indicator one and a half times the water depth is the place to start. The weight and indicator must be adjusted for each cast and condition until the fly, lure, bait, bumps along just over bottom at the same speed as the current. This can still require a knowledge of mending, the more, the better the success.
    Agreed 110%. On all accounts.
    And here's Andy Kim's way. The guy's a fish catching fool.
    http://www.yspecial.com/seminar.html
    Go to the SJ and watch and learn. It does get tiresome to here "Another one caught on the Yong Special" every couple minutes.
    So I hope Buddy understands that AK ain't just a pretty face writing for fly fishing magazines or books.
    Last edited by RS1; 01-23-2008 at 11:31 PM.

Cool 1.5-2 works...

In many of the river environments I fish, there is no way to present a nymph effectively without leading it with some weight. When I'm chest deep with my butt against the bank, surrounded on all sides and above by trees and brush, my entire presentation depends on a strong upstream flip followed by a roll mend... no way to get a long enough fore drift to get down 6-10' without weight. A standard nymph on a floating line is going to drift WAY OVER the lays, not through them. I'm no bait fisherman, but I don't do this to spend days on end casting/drifting flies to unoccupied water - especially when it's only 10-20 degrees out! That said, I would far prefer to be throwing dries on a quiet pond... problem is they all have 2' of ice on them right now If I were a bait fisherman, I would be out there with a big drill and a case of Bud! Not!

TL's~
    ... But a lifelong journey.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
    go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford

I do not use a strike indicator in moving water. For nymph"s I use a 7' furled leader made from Flourocarbon and a 4' to 6' flourocarbon tippet. Mending and High Sticking to get the fly down, I may even feed out a little line to help get it down (watch the slack). Watch the fly line. Remember that the fly is quite a bit behind it up stream, know where your fly is! If the line stops give it a short strip, you've probably hooked a rock but who knows (carry a good hook sharpener!)
    The other day using this method I hooked up 18 trout! My good friend and fishing buddy WarrenP hooked 42!! One of the greats in my eyes when it comes to fishing wet flys with no indicators. We were both using the same fly, tippet and leader BTW!!
    So much to learn!!

+ Reply to Thread