+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family friendly destination in the Rockies

Default Family friendly destination in the Rockies

Hi everyone. does anyone have any recommendations for a "family friendly" destination in the rockies? (US or Can). I want to fish but I will be bringing along the wife and three kids all under 9 years old. Finding info about the region is easy, it's the "family" part that I need help with.
    Thanks, DB

Doogie;
    Are you flying out here, or driving?
    If driving, (depending on time of year), might as well start investigating Yellowstone Park!
    If you're flying out, (renting a car, perhaps?), "The Rockies" cover a LOT of square miles! What, general, area are you talking about visiting?
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Flying in from NY. I would like to hit at least one "well known" river but the rest is wide open. Honestly, there is so much to choose from, I'm alttle overwhelmed. Aren't you up early? DB

Nope! "Still up, LATE"!
    If you're talking "The Rockies, in either Canada or the US", you're talking way too many "well known rivers" to even list, let alone, places of interest for the bride and kiddies!
    Maybe, if you can settle on some sort of proximity to visit, you won't drive yourself crazy trying to decide!?!
    Canada, is someone else's gig, on here. I live in Oregon, but have fished and traveled the US Rockies for over 30 years. But, even with that, I couldn't begin to suggest "just a bunch of places", Doogie, without having you driving all over several states!! LOL!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

You can't go wrong with Montana...either Yellowstone Nat'l. Park or Glacier Nat'l. Park.

Lots for the kids to do around either place and some great fishing, too. If you do choose the Glacier area, I can give you the phone number for a great fly shop in Columbia Falls and they can tell you what's biting and where.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie Bugger View Post
    Flying in from NY. I would like to hit at least one "well known" river but the rest is wide open. Honestly, there is so much to choose from, I'm alttle overwhelmed. Aren't you up early? DB
    Doogie -

Have you considered an outfitter? My boyfriend's elk outfitter (he's been out there quite a few times with him), located in Darby, MT does fishing/horseback/camping trips for families in the off-season (meaning summer). They have a lot of fun and Jeff & Rhonda are great - they know their mountains inside and out. I've seen a lot of their trail and camp photos and it looks like a great time. It might be an option for you, so I thought I'd throw the idea out there. If you want more info, PM me for their details.
    I think, therefore I fish.

Here's a place to start the search. This one is on the West side of the Tetons, just over the hill from Jackson Hole, Grand Teton National Park, and Yellowstone. Teton river at your elbow, South Fork of the Snake in close proximity. Henry's Fork within striking distance.(Both less than an hour away)
    Things to consider in your search, will be: the time of the year, time you're able to spend, cost, and river conditions while you're there, are just a few. I'd try to get personal recommendations if you choose to use an outfitter or guide. Your options are considerable, so burn up the keys.

http://www.dryridge.com/
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Great answer Lew (see you in April in IF?)
    Great country and BIG fish to be had. Lew is right that every thing is close.
    Time of year is critical however. You can get snowed on in July. I know this for a fact LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Great answer Lew (see you in April in IF?)
    Great country and BIG fish to be had. Lew is right that every thing is close.
    Time of year is critical however. You can get snowed on in July. I know this for a fact LOL
    Doesn't happen often, but it's possible. Take a hard look at run-off conditions wherever you decide to go, if it's on the front side of the year. It can make all the difference in your fishing experience.

(See ya there Joni. Tell what's'is name that he can come too, if he'll behave himself.)
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Hey Doogie--sent you a PM with a recommendation.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

+ Reply to Thread