+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bamboo rod completed

If you need a completely green apprentice just let me know.

Another beauty.
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

Bill,

Just beautiful work. You are a true craftsman. Thanks for sharing those pics with us.

REE

Not only does Bill do great work he is very giving, living in the same area where Bill is located I am one of many lucky ones who has visited Bill's shop by just asking if you can come up, a warm welcome, a guided tour of how the rods start from raw culms to the final product, then you can cast a rod or two. Bill has held a BOO gathering at his house just for anyone who wanted to come by. He freely give outs helpful information to anyone that may have a boo problem or interest. He is just a nice guy that after many years has really fined turned his profession, He really needs to post a picture of his first rod.

Another rod he has just finished is a Presidential rod that is signed by President Jimmy Carter and will be part a charity auction - runner NGTO

Wow.

I'm at a loss for words. That is simply beautiful work.

Did you do the metal engraving yourself? If so, even a bigger wow. If not, still, wow, the assembly, finish, and overall look of this piece is beautiful.

Wow. I just keep saying that.

Jeff

Thanks for all of the nice words everyone. It was really a fun rod to create, and one I wish I could keep for myself too!

Jeff, yes I do all of the hand engraving myself. The leaping brown trout was done in the "bulino" style of super fine line push engraving. It's kind of like drawing in 3D. The dark area inside the fish's mouth, for example, is made up of a couple of hundred cross hatched lines which deepen, and darken, the shaded areas. I actually hid a little mayfly perched in the scrollwork on the opposite side of the cap. I figured a fish like that needed a good reason to be leaping from the water. The mayfly is about the size of a match head and boy did those details get small in a hurry!

Bill O.

www.oysterbamboo.com

Here's a couple pics of the President Carter rod Mike was referring to. The first is of the Presidential Seal I engraved in the butt cap and the second is a close-up of where he signed the rod before I varnished it. This rod WAS heading for the Carter Center charity auction, but after he fished it for an hour or so, he told me I was going to have to make him a second rod for the auction because he wasn't giving this one up! The second rod is on the books.

Last edited by oyster; 01-18-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Default DaVinci, Einstein, Spielberg, Hitchcock, Oyster

Bill, once again a masterpiece.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

YO! Momma! I want that rod ! That is one of the nicest rods I have ever seen. Glad you figured out the picture thing so we could all enjoy it.

Mr Blur said it best, "that's just freaking gorgeous."

Ps I'd sure like to see that mayfly.
    Last edited by Gnu Bee Flyer; 01-19-2008 at 07:32 AM.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Bill,
    I'm sure glad that you figured out how to post pictures, so that all of us can enjoy your beautiful works of art. Looks like you and President Carter had a good day on the Soque. As I have stated before, "That rod is simply "Bootiful".",
    I have had the opportunity to see some of Bill's work first hand and believe me when I say, that the pictures don't do these works of art justice.
    As Mike (Runner) has asked, and I will ask also, "Show us the rod that you use", or your first rod.
    Chuck

I would be afraid to even TOUCH one of those rods. Bill, you must have the patience of a saint! The details are amazing.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

That is truly beautiful...Do you do the engraving by hand?

How much time do you have into each of those rods???

Ned

+ Reply to Thread