+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: on the hook dubbing brush

Normand Guest

Interesting , Norm....thanks

I have questions ...
    Is it really that revolutionary?.....does it do anything any different than when you use say a Cal Bird dubbing tool for a dubbing loop?....maybe a little more convenient....

In that thread are they saying there now is a Nor-vise bobbin that accepts regular thread spools?

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    Interesting , Norm....thanks

I have questions ...
    Is it really that revolutionary?.....does it do anything any different than when you use say a Cal Bird dubbing tool for a dubbing loop?....maybe a little more convenient....

In that thread are they saying there now is a Nor-vise bobbin that accepts regular thread spools?
    I dont see much in the way of it being any more revolutionarier than a bent up paper clip! one tool instead of two??

Gene trump mentions something about the use of regular thread spools with his retractable bobbin. could be something new. nothing on the website though.

http://www.nor-vise.com/products/products.htm
    Last edited by Normand; 01-04-2008 at 06:03 PM.

I could be very wrong about this, but it appears that the rotation is not on the center axis and might be a little more difficult in containing the materials at first.

Just a thought.

I like it.

But I'll just modify an existing bobbin I have and see how it goes.

That 'off center' spin is what makes it work 'better' for my interests. I think I'll get a better material distribution and more thread around it rather than 'along' it this way.

Should be great for peacock herl, which I use an awful lot.

We'll have to see.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

Pretty cool tool. I would just make one with a paperclip though, like norm said.
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

So there are 3 lengths of thread in the wrap instead of two like when you use a regular dubbing tool. Thus if you brought your thread down to a regular tool and wrapped it around the tool once you would be in the same position when you spin the regular tool (plus bobbin).
    I think the hook on the bobbin would drive me nuts when I DON?T want it there.

Question

Since the "loop", after forming, is now intimately attached to the thread coming from the bobbin there doesn't appear to be any way to STOP if you have made up too long a rope and want to not use it all. You can't cut it off without cutting off your winding thread also. ?????
    Last edited by Ray Kunz; 01-06-2008 at 10:06 PM.

I think Ray hit the nail on the head about cutting your wrapping thread.

Dave

Seems you'd just pop the loop off the hook at any time you feel you have the desired amount for your fly body...I don't see where the hook would be in the way when retracted either...I'd want the retracting ability of the hook though..so I'd wait till the tool is commercially availabe..or contact Mitch...Just a few thought's.

Now how'bout Mr. Mitch getting intouch with Mr. Enlich (sp) and perhaps I could kill me two bird's here with the proverbial single stone!
    Last edited by billknepp; 01-06-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread