+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What book is on your night stand right now?

Default Re: What book is on your night stand right now?

Sex, Death, and Fly Fishing by John Gierach and I just finished his book Trout Bum.

It will be 2 months before I can read for pleasure though.

Respectfully,
    Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Burried under the several fly fishing catalogs is a copy of Prehospital Trauma Life Support. I think it's still in the wrapper. I have a recert class in it next weekend, guess I should at least thumb through it. It hasn't changed much in the last three years so the catalogs take precedent.

RW here

One of Gierach's books. I have all 16 of them and I don't remember which one it is, plus I'm too lazy to go look.

Later, RW
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Hello all! Just finished the "Carrie Stevens" book by Hilyard. Next up is "Casting A Spell" by George Black!

Blog Entries

Funny you should ask....I just got this earlier this week....Dr. George Parker Holden's, Idyl of the Split Bamboo....
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

6. Default Re: What book is on your night stand right now?

Just finished reading Fly Fishing the Solitude, a great read! Thanks for the recommendation.

Hoosier, I have read both Hilyard's book (nicely done) and George Black's, which to me just edges The History of the Fish Hook as the fishing book of the year last year. Beautifully written--I can't recommend it highly enough. Also read Holdens book many moons ago.

On my Christmas list is Rusty Gates' Seasons on the Au Sable and Mary Kelly's Origins of American Angling. Looking forward to both!

Tight Lines,

Deke

Just bumping to pimp Andrew Herd's book, The Fly. Excellent general history of the sport, though I felt his view was somewhat eurocentric. I found the sections dealing with early fly fishing especially interesting as I had not come across so much information on medieval and pre-medieval angling before reading the book. While the book has a fair number of anecdotes, it is rather technical - more a history of the equipment used to fly fish than a history of famous fishing figures. I got the distinct impression after rereading it that Herd was really trying to pack as much information as possible into this book; as far as I am concerned, he succeeded.

Final verdict: Worth picking up, for sure, though I think you have to order it from the UK. It contains plenty of information and research that I have not seen elsewhere.

So what do you recommend? And if you post, let me know where I can get it!

Tight lines,

Deke
    Well, Deke, if your nightstand is solidly enough constructed, I would recommend the recently (posthumously) published Nymphs by Ernest Schwiebert. He writes in an inimitably interesting style, and at 800,000+ words in two volumes, depending on your age, you might not ever have to buy another book. Just kidding, sort of.

Anyway, the two volumes are available separately at Amazon.com.

I recently finished one of Geirachs books and am now onto "Casting a Spell" by George Black
    A very interesting book on some of the old Bamboo Rod builders..

Bill

Thumbs up Rusty Gates' Seasons on the Au Sable

Rusty Gates' Seasons on the Au Sable. Great reading. I savor a few pages at night then close my eyes and I'm wading that great river.

+ Reply to Thread