+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Full Sinking Line Help

Default Full Sinking Line Help

Can anybody point me in the direction of a very reasonably priced full sinking line?..... I am thinking about a Type 4 or 5 in a 7 weight. I am considering delving into the world of a full sink line for the first time and want to try and keep the cost down, as i already will have to spring for a new spool.... Thanks for any help!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Full Sinking Line Help

I don't want to make it more complicated than it is but.....
    Just as important is to determine what sinking rate you get. They go from type I to VII . The I sinks painfully slow and the VII sinks like a stone. I have all types and usually go with the II or III if the lake is less than 15 feet deep. III I use for 15-20 feet. and IV for anything deeper. The really fast V- VII are for deep pools with lots of current. Or for chironomid fishing straight down below the boat. (noodeling, sort of jigging with a fly. )

If it is primarily for trolling just get the walmart $40.00 combo rod, reel, backing Line and leader. Get the one with the with the sinking line. It is about type II and works well for most trolling. I think the line alone is about $10 bux.

I don't know about cheap as I use SA lines that are about $55.00 each. My extra spools are only $13.00 because I have uber cheap reels. I found them online for $8.00 each with shipping so I got 12. Such a deal.

I would rather have quality lines and spend a little less on the rod/reel
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Blog Entries

I would recommend a Scientific Anglers Wet Cel.

I have a type 2 for my 6wt that I really like. It doesn't belly much and casts really nice.

They make them in your weight and sink rate, Might want to check them out as they are only 30.00 or so.

Good luck!
    Chris
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."-Steven Wright
    http://fishiesonthefly.blogspot.com/

Spring for a new spool? I've seen Caddis reels new with backing, line, and leader for $15.....that is if you really want to be economical. Then get the line and put it on the new reel.

I have a cheap sink line $10 from Wal-Mart...just as talked about above. SA I think. Box long gone. It almost floats! Must be a type one as referred to. Fishing with a friend in a 14' boat with a trolling motor....his line disappears in the water about 25' away from the boat. You can still see my line probabloy 50' out! There is a lake here I fish with that line because it was the only sink line I had....in my inflatable pontoon boat.....I let the line out clear to the backing and then fish....and catch fish. Soooo...I have purchased some new lines but not fished them yet. last couple of years my life been a bit too hectic to do much fishing. So I cannot report on their performance.

But....a sponsor here....Global Dorber Group sells Fast Sink lines from 2wt to 10 wt for $14.40 each.

You can go to dorber.com
    clk on products
    clk on Fly Lines
    look to the low left and ouf of three choices...furled leaders, tapered leaders and fly lines.....
    clk on fly lines

I purchased a 7wt full sink from them and it says on the box X-tra Fast Sink. Unfortunately it does not say what type number sink it is. Have not fished it yet.

Good Luck

I have a bunch of the Cortland 333 lines in sizes, 6, 8, 9, and 10 .... mostly type 3 plus a few type 6 sink rates
    I've had some of them over 10 years, they work fine and don't cost alot
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread