+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ross Rhythm reels on sale at bass pro

Default Ross Rhythm reels on sale at bass pro

fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

It's a good reel, no mechanical difference, really, from the Evolution. Unfortunately, it's only available (at least now) in the smallest sizes.

The size available raises a question: who has found that they need large arbor in those sizes? I have LA in big weights, where I believe the function is needed, but have not seen a need to change the smaller reels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawthumb View Post
    It's a good reel, no mechanical difference, really, from the Evolution. Unfortunately, it's only available (at least now) in the smallest sizes.

The size available raises a question: who has found that they need large arbor in those sizes? I have LA in big weights, where I believe the function is needed, but have not seen a need to change the smaller reels.
    I have not found the need for large arbor in ANY weight for the rods/reels i own (I have 1 wt to 8 wt). What did we do before they designed large arbor reels? Right, we got along with what was available at the time, and there were even records set using standard arbor reels.

Personally, I think it's mostly marketing hype that lots of people get caught up in. But if you talk to some folks, you can't catch fish without one. I wonder if those folks are interested in a slightly used bridge and some prime land that's temporarily under water?

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I picked one up when they first went on sale in the 3 size. They either didn't have many of them or they went fast. I'm not even sure what rod I'll use it on, perhaps my Scott G2 9' 5wt? Or on a 7wt rod I have.

Normand Guest

not much of a choice

Joe, I agree. "Large Arbors", seem to have come along about the same time, that the reel industry was in a; "too many makers-not enough buyers-slump" of a few years ago. I have a couple, because they came with the reels that I bought for "too good of a deal to turn down", type thing.
    But, I quickly switched them BACK to standard styles, as soon as I could afford the extra spools to do so.
    Supposedly, they put less.................or at least, "less tight coils in your lines", but since I never make a first cast, without first stretching out my line each trip.......THAT point is rather moot! I also don't like the loss of extra backing, that Large Arbors always cost me!
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Rawthumb View Post
    They are just on back order. I placed an order for one yesterday by talking to a rep. directly since the larger sizes are no longer on the web page. I ordered the 3.5 for my St. Croix, Legend Elite, 8 wt. Looking forward to this one.

If you want one, call and talk to a rep instead of just trying the web site.

Rick

Yeah, "needed" may be a little strong, but I do like the large arbor's function for bigger fish (assuming you don't need a mile of backing). The Rhythm and Evolution replaced the Gunnison and the Canyon (in the smaller sizes), but a Gunnison IV is still a fine reel and gets the job done (as does the Canyon 3 that was discontinued).

A lot of manufacturers do not allow discounting of their products unless there is a model change or a drop. Cabelas discounted and sold off the Gunnisons at great prices when the Rhythm and Evolution came out. I don't mean to start rumors or speculation, but does anyone have actual knowledge of chages to the Rhythm?

All the other manufacturers jumped on the large arbors in recent years, but I believe Loop first tried to sell them in the US in 1984, and they received a modest reception.

On large arbor reels, I have bought 9 reels since June of '07. While the large arbors are a great reel for line take up the trade offs are not always a win, win. I bought two of the Battenkill LA II reels from Orvis when they discontinued them within the last couple of months for the new LA with the center drag. While these mate well with my 4 wt rods, the amount of backing is truly pitiful. I like to take my light weight outfits and fish for carp on the fly with them. These fish test the drag system and take me into the backing often. I just can't image a 20 pounder on a 4wt taking me into the backing then bottoming out my backing. If using a heavy tippet and it didn't break, the 12 pound backing might. You need the 12 pound backing just to get any capacity on the reel. I can see a $60 fly line swimming off into the depths of the river never to be seen again.

For this reason, I fish with 5X tippet or a reel with much more backing. I like my Lamson Waterworks reels in that they are a great combination of fairly quick pickup and backing capacity. I did order the Ross Rythm in a 3.5. I would put this reel on a 6 wt just so that I would have more backing capacity and if the reel is 1/2" bigger, who cares. The 3.5 will go on one of the 7 wt rods or my 8 wt.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread