+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: how to handle rude guide

Default Re: how to handle rude guide

Quote Originally Posted by EdD
    Developing a really bad, hacking cough when so troubled will sometimes lead offenders to avoid you. (Fake difficulty drawing breath, hunch over, make your whole torso rack with the cough, etc... Act tubercular.) They don't seem to want to get whatever it is that you have. Pity, sometimes it's just wit.

Ed
    Ed,

You have a uniquely demented, and sometimes evil, sense of humor. I'm envious!

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
    Quote Originally Posted by EdD
    Developing a really bad, hacking cough when so troubled will sometimes lead offenders to avoid you. (Fake difficulty drawing breath, hunch over, make your whole torso rack with the cough, etc... Act tubercular.) They don't seem to want to get whatever it is that you have. Pity, sometimes it's just wit.

Ed
    Ed,

You have a uniquely demented, and sometimes evil, sense of humor. I'm envious!

Joe

Joe, coming from you, I am deeply flattered! Thanks.

Ed

Bummer to hear about that Jason and I think you handled the situation nicely. During Salmon & Steelhead season it gets out of control around here so ugly antics and run ins are all to frequent. I really have a hard time behaving when faced with situations like you described so I try and avoid the water altogether at peak times as it's just too hard to bite my tongue. I have blatently come out and suggested that the customer hired the village idiot which rarely goes over well. I have also resorted to bombing the pool with a few pebbles too. I have a buddy who had 2 very ugly run ins with the same guide in a 3 day span where the guide crossed through the center of a pool with clients in order to spook the fish to the next pool down where his buddies were staked out. We left that spot and my buddy said he forgot a fly box at the car. Come to find out that when we left, my buddy had pulled the jack from his car and taken BOTH driver side tires off the guides truck and placed them in the bed of said guides pick up truck. Laughed my butt off upon seeing that (and quickly left the area). I can only imagine the scene when the guide and his clients returned : ) There are however far too many nuts out there so confrentation are not wise and you just never know what some are capable of.

My wife was so proud of me this Oct. while fishing a very remote river on the west coast of Vancouver Island. We had the river to ourselves when one lone "angler" came walking down the bank and upon seeing us pounding on the fresh Chum and Coho and seeing all the fish in front of us literally walked right out into the river going around and then in front of us. I was stunned and I know my wife was thinking, "Oh crap, this is going to get ugly." I reeled up and told her we were leaving. She didn't say anything until later that evening that she was amazed I said nothing. Granted it was not as fun as it might have been making some wise cracks but it's a lot safer : )

Revenge is sweet BUT a knife or gun shot wound leaves a bitter after taste . . .

Doc, you beat me to it

I would have befriended the guide and found out what he was driving. The rest, I'll leave to your imagination. That way I could continue to fish with a smile on my face.

Of course, that would not have been the remedy taken in my younger days. Rocks may hurt the fish and we don't want that to happen

Seriously, it is regretable that we have to share our streams with experts like that. It will catch up with them sooner or later.
    God Bless America

I had an incident once when some kids began swimming in a hole where I was fishing. I had a couple of nice whitefish on a stringer that I was taking home to smoke, so I pulled them out, cleaned them, and let the guts float into their swimming area........It still makes me smile!
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

I like the idea of talking directly to the other fisherman. Assuming he's a newby and unaware, explain to him that this is not standard etiquette and his guide is either ignorant or lazy. Give him your number and tell him you'll take him out for free, show him more fish and teach him the proper etiquettte as well. That will hit the guide right where it hurts... in his pocket.
    jed

7. Default Re: how to handle rude guide

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Rob
    You should have found out if he guides for a shop or outfitter and reported him to the boss. The boss usually doesn't need that kind of publicity for his business ~~ rest assured it would have been taken care of.

My only experiences with guides have been extremely positive. Even the outing when we didn't catch that many fish ~~ it was a wonderful day on the water.

Not only that you can also report him to the fish and game!!

Blog Entries

In My younger days ( Dumb like ox , strong like Bull ) I use to get quite aggressive with these types of idiots.

A bush pilot buddy of mine and I were on a long sandy beach fishing for pink salmon. In the 1960's the nearest police or conservation officers were 3 days away via bush plane. So we were pretty remote. There was a logging camp on an Island nearby. As far as you could see in either direction there were pink salmon in huge schools . You could easily catch the daily limit in under an hour. We were fly fishing with #8 pink things catching and releasing everyghing.

This Idiot wearing chest waders landed on the beach with a 12 foot boat near where we were fishing. Obviously he was one of the loggers. He got out of the boat without even saying Hello walked over beside us and began to wade out into the ocean. We explained that the fish were only 30 feet out and could easily be fished without wading, but if he waded out the school would just move out farther so it makes no sense to wade. He made some comment about our doubtful ancestry swore at us, said you can't hog all the fish, then continued to wade way out directly in front of us .
    We could see he was a colossal jerk so We just moved up the beach 100 yards or so trying to ignore him.
    Using a heavy mooching rod and a large bare triple hook. He proceeded to snag and retain at least 15 pinks even tho my friend finally got mad and yelled at him to stop saying that it was illegal to snag fish and the limit was 6 pinks. The guy swearing profusely, yelled back at us "Just what do you think you can do about it." As I was debating whether two of us could take on an angry logger,
    My buddy walked slowly over to the truck. He got out a shotgun walked calmly over to guys pile of fish, fired two 12 gauge rounds into the pile of fish, turned to the guy and said

"The limit is 6 , snagging is illegal this gun has a three shot clip and don't you ever let me catch you fishing near me again. That's what I'm going to do about it. "
    We never saw him again.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Never had that happen to me with a guide, but have heard of it happening. Always thought it was foolish on their part, someone that's on the water daily and probably has a good feel for what's happing at any given time.
    Seeing as how he thinks it's just fine to jump someone I would let everyone know he does. If you want to find fish just find Moron the Guide and cozy on up, he's OK with it. Does it all the time. If he's employed by an outfitter call them and tell them what you plan to do and ask how they feel about it. Do all their guides feel the same way.
    Got a board the locals read?

Peter

As a guide I am always appalled when I hear of these situations. As far as how you handled it, you did good, real good. As others have said, you should have made an attempt to find out who this idiot works for. If needed, play nice and say you have some friends that want to learn to fly fish and get his name and card. Then, ignore him and go to the client and clearly explain how the guide is totally out of line. Just make sure the guide hears you telling the client this.

I can assure you that if any guide in my area did this and the outfitter found out about it, that guide would be history. One part of fly fishing that has been pushed way back into obscurity as far as new people to the sport goes is etiqitte. All of us who introduce new fishermen to fly fishing need to make sure that we place a proper emphasis on etiqitte. Those of us who guide have an even greater burden to act properly, whether we are with clients or not.

+ Reply to Thread