+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lamson reels - What is your Opinion??

Default Lamson reels - What is your Opinion??

I need a new reel for a 6 weight rod and I think I like the conical drag the lamson reels have, in particular I am looking at the Velocity 2 or 3. This will be on my do anything 6 weight 6 piece rod for traveling. So it might see surf fishing in San Diego or trout in Utah, My other consideration is the Ross Rhythm.

So what are your opinions on the Lamson (I already have 2 Ross reels - Gunnison and Colorado) and like them allot but something about the conical drag calls to me!

Thanks,
    Dan

Dear ozarkflyflinger,

It's your dough, get what you want.

I'd look at Scientific Angler's reels myself. They offer nice disc drag reels for very little do-re-mi.

I know I'll get ripped for this post for not advocating a conically sealed disc drag, but please.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Nice reel for the money, and I have three. The spool change is a little clumsy with frozen fingers, other than that I like them.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

4. Default

Currently I am using a Ross Evolution for trout fishing which has a very nice drag. The Rhythm has the same drag expect it is a heavier reel. It has a lot less machining therefore it's cheaper. As far as Lamson reels go they are nice as well. I once used a Velocity steelhead fishing and it was great.

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

I've got a Lamson Litespeed, Ross Rhythm, Bauer Junior Mac & Super Lite. All are good reels but the Bauers are my favorites because of their solid construction and great drag. I've landed many steelhead +10lbs and salmon +20lbs on the JM and the drag has worked great on runs into the backing. I've also landed quite a few +4lb stillwater rainbows on the SL and the drag has protected 6x tippets even with my brute force steelheader fighting style.

The Lamson drag is not as smooth and the labeling is wearing off after 1/3 year of use. I'm not totally comfortable with the Ross's plastic clutch and the drag doesn't go all the way to "full stop" which raises some questions in my mind.

So I'd opt for a Bauer Super Lite with the 6wt. If you get a chance to see one in person, take a look at the size of the disc drag, and then see how smoothly it plays out. Best of all... no annoying incoming clicker!

Dan,

I use Lamson V's for big fish and also lend them out quite often with no problems so far (reels are about 5 years old).

JC, ... The Lamson's sure did have problems for a while on "older" models. I don't know what the problem was, or when exactly it was fixed, ...but I recall reading somewhere that it has been fixed.

New reels no problem, .. used ones, ... ask a shop who knows Lamsons.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:a21dd]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:a21dd]
    Christopher Chin

Lampson reels yup they've had a few problems with the LP series, actualy it was the ratchet wheel for the anti reverse. As a dealer and repairmen I sold a lot of em and fixed a few as they came along. But then I have also fixed Bauer, Ross, Able, Cortland, SA, Finor, Shakespere, Martin, Orvis, Tibor and well you get the idea. What do I fish with 80% of the time, Lamson. Both the older LPs and the Water works ULA and Volcity. The biggest problems I see discussed about Water works conical drag set ups is simply operator error. It is a sealed unit and so does requir the owner to understand that its not your usual drag set up and does not tolerate over mantinence. One drop of oil down the the spool tube, and the drag just goes away. Water down the tube and funny things begin to happen. How do I know, simple I test them to find out. Frankely the less you do to the drag the better it works. As with any fishing reel, fly or other wise I recomend that the drag be backed off at the end of the day. Heck I need to relax at the end of the day too. Haveing sold them (Volcitys) sents they came out some years ago. Im still waiting for the first customer to have a problem. Outside of dropping one of course. Should you decide to go with a Water Works reels please feel free to contact me and ask, "So what are the dos and donts to have a long and happy time with this reel." Ill be glad to answer your questions.

------------------
    Captn. Paul Darby
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

+ Reply to Thread