+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 weight reel

Blog Entries

Default Re: 3 weight reel

I have two reels I use, an SA system 2 45L, and a Bass Pro Hobbs Creek #1. Both work fine and balance the 3wt well. I will not replace the SA when it finally dies but will continue to give BP $40 a reel for many years. I think I own four of those now...

BTW the BP reel looks amazingly like the TFO reel in the photo, to the point I suspect they make come off the same assembly line. Same price, too.

I have a Ross Colorado Co-0 on my Sage 279LL and a Ross Gunnison G-1 on my Sage 379LL and Sage 389VPS-light. I can see why you like the Ross Colorado! My daughter has a Redington 2/3 CT Reel with her Sage 386DS2. I'd highly recommend these reels but they are no longer produced.

I know of a place that has the Lamson Velocity Hybrid Large Arbor Reel RL V01Y WF3/40 yds #20 backing wt 4.00 oz dia. 2.85 reg $219 on sale for $129.95. Or take a look at this guy's products at http://www.flyfishingbenefactors.com. They seem very reasonably priced. But I've never seen them first hand. Good-luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Or take a look at this guy's products at http://www.flyfishingbenefactors.com. They seem very reasonably priced. But I've never seen them first hand. Good-luck!

I just purchased a Deschutes I reel from Fly Fishing Benefactors... It's a terrific little reel for $79! Really worth taking a look at for your 3 weight!

SALtsh!
    I thought, that I was the ONLY person LEFT that still loves the TR-1 reels!! Nice to see that there's someone else still in love with this great little reel!
    It's, also, what I use on my shorter 3wt. AND on my short stick 4wts.
    I wish they were still in production. They're a fantastically made reel, beautifully machined and smooth as silk.
    Another, that I'd readily suggest, for a short stick, is the "Teton Tioga #2". American made, bar stock aluminum, hell of a drag system, too, for such a small fly reel.
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

At a recent (last spring) show, I saw a new reel line from Germany. Vosseler. The RC1 (rim control) was a sweet little reel. Very light and no frills. Not that much money either. Should be what the doctor ordered. Stay away from the plastic/graphite crap.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

Last spring I sprung for a custom fly rod made by a local (kettle Creek, Pa.) fly shop owner. It was a 3-4 weight "Hammersley Fork" graphite rod and it is very light. However, I was concerned about weight so he put, maybe 12 different reels in my hands and the lightest one was a TICA Fishmaster 108 reel. It is the lightest reel I ever handeled and it is good quality machined alumniun. Combined with the 3-4 weight rod, it is the smoothest casting combination and is practically effortless to cast. I never heard of the TICA Fishmaster before but it has proven wonderful and deserves consideration. Ron G.

nighthawk Guest

I have a Cabela's Prestige Plus large arbor that is very light and a nice reel for the money.

Abel TR light is superb!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Blog Entries

Okuma Magnitude regular arbor. It as lightweight magnesium, disc drag, and inexpensive.

Greg

ditto on the orvis battenkill barstock. decent drag, light and you can pick them up on ebay reasonably if you keep your eye out. the okuma magnitude is a fine reel for the money as well.

+ Reply to Thread