+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EKICH BOBBINS?

Normand Guest

Default Re: EKICH BOBBINS?

Quote Originally Posted by BrookieAngler
    I use fewer wraps, less thread than I did with regular bobbins.
    isnt that a function of not wrapping so many turns of thread around the hook vs what brand of bobbin???

Hi, Norm. Yes, you're right. Using fewer wraps is a matter of choice. And skill. A good tyer will not need a lot of wraps to, for example, secure tinsel to the hook. Or hackle. Or whatever. Me, I'm a mediocre tyer at best. I tend to use too many turns of thread when securing stuff to the hook. But with the Ekich (and, by the way, the encouragement of Mr. Ekich) I find that when before I used say 4 turns to secure something, now I can secure the material with one or two turns and allow the weight and thread tension of the bobbin hold the material in place.

Nobody NEEDS a particular bobbin and yes, this one is expensive. But this is, for me, after all a hobby. It brings me pleasure. I sure don't do it to save money. And tying with the Ekich bobbin brings me pleasure the same way a well-designed hand plane will bring a woodworker pleasure. It does the job well and feels good in the hand.

WOW! I hope Mr. Ekich reads that post. How nicely stated. I agree, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder
    Thanks, to everyone, for the great info! As usual, on FAOL, when you have a question and want/need, to make an "informed decision", this is the place!

So, after carefully going over each post, given, I made the decision to chuck the idea of getting a Ekich bobbin and instead, went out and bought another horse!

Thanks, again, for the help!!
    LMAO. Ain't that the way some of these threads go? Start out looking for a bobbin and end up with a horse. Now you need to find a market for those road apples. Plus, you'll need a second job just to board the critter.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I like mine alot. It makes me want to use the rotary function of my vise even more. I like the fact that the bobbin works with many different spools allowing the use of the clutch feature without "respooling" on special spools. I also agree that it is a well made tool that is a pleasure to look at.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by BrookieAngler
    Nobody NEEDS a particular bobbin and yes, this one is expensive. But this is, for me, after all a hobby. It brings me pleasure. I sure don't do it to save money. And tying with the Ekich bobbin brings me pleasure the same way a well-designed hand plane will bring a woodworker pleasure. It does the job well and feels good in the hand.
    BA,

You hit the nail on the head. It is a hobby. While I don't own an Ekich (I have the one made my Nor Vise), the ones I do have make my tying more enjoyable because I can focus on the tying an not on the tool.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

This is THE bobbin for me. I have two, and I'm considering one more for larger flies. As a bonus, Faruk is a joy to talk to.

BTW -- why is this in Sound Off?

TroutGeek;
    I added this post here, in Sound Off, after I read the site's description of what, exactly, Sound Off is to be used for!??!
    QUOTE; "Give your input on products you have tried, companies you have dealt with; a place to ask about a Company or product and get input from folks who have used it." END QUOTE.

So, after reading, THAT.......... it seemed the perfect place, to ask about the EKICH bobbins and for input from anyone that's used one! (Or, even, for ANY fly fishing related item, anyone's interested in trying out.)
    Saint Paul-"The Highly Confused"
    You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by flybinder
    TroutGeek;
    I added this post here, in Sound Off, after I read the site's description of what, exactly, Sound Off is to be used for!??!
    QUOTE; "Give your input on products you have tried, companies you have dealt with; a place to ask about a Company or product and get input from folks who have used it." END QUOTE.

So, after reading, THAT.......... it seemed the perfect place, to ask about the EKICH bobbins and for input from anyone that's used one! (Or, even, for ANY fly fishing related item, anyone's interested in trying out.)
    Ahhh. Makes sense. Yes, perfect place. I usually see the Ekich Auto-Bobbin discussion over in the fly tying section.

+ Reply to Thread